Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grommet Options  (Read 11519 times)

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grommet Options
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 07:22:26 PM »
This was the other option I kicked around. Is there a nylon bushing or insert that needs to be removed?   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 02:23:17 PM »
I ordered a couple of these after seeing a you tube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOqVqZZSnos&lc=z22sdxr4zqrktrxbn04t1aokgm4wqewnh0yovbwmj12ark0h00410.1501965847799092

I ordered here though, much cheaper than the you tube link.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G3R7NDU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! I like the looks of those. Wouldn't the nylon inside melt?

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
@Troy I installed the St Louis BBQ Probe Port on my Performer. There are 3 pieces and if you place the Smoke probe through the top rounded "cap" nut prior to screwing it on it will fit. The port costs $14.95 but you need to be able to drill a 27/32" hole. I used a 7/8" "step up" bit. I located the area I wanted the port cleaned it and put blue painters tape on the outside. First drilled a 1/4" started hole, then finished with the step up bit.
I unscrewed and raised the bowl, with a piece of wood, to make it easier to drill.
Then when cool remove the "cap" nut, pull out the Smoke probe(s) and replace.
It will easily accommodate 2 Smoke probes or 4 iGrill probes.
Hardest part was deciding where to place the port.

It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
Thanks @Larry !!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »
I would like to try putting my probe in the rear.

You know, so it doesn't show.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
I would like to try putting my probe in the rear.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 03:18:55 PM »
Just be respectful and ask her first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 03:43:44 PM »
Those types of grills are usually cookers not lookers.  [emoji3]

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
Grommet Options
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2017, 01:50:57 AM »
For me the best gromlet is ProQ Probe Eyelet:

https://youtu.be/44G-mzT3Sk8

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
BBQ are never enough

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »
I really don't want to drill holes, but those rubber those gromlets may be the solution for my Thermoworks Smoke/WSM.

The Guru Eyelets weren't even close!

Al b que

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 04:23:20 PM »
 Where can you get those grommet here in the states?

Sent from my VS986 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Grommet Options
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 06:25:44 AM »
Bumping this thread as there is a lot of interest in probes lately. I don't use probes often but when I do, it would be nice to have a probe port. I considered the weber grommet for a kettle but not sure if it could take high heat cooks when grilling?

Maybe the pipe nipple is the way to go?

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »
Here is my solution...

On the left is the Climax 3/8 in. Bore Zinc-Plated Mild Steel Set Screw Collar.  This I had to order from Home Depot.  Cost is $1.01 with free shipping and store pick up.

On the right is a JMF 1/2in Compression Insert Part number 41291.  This you can get at ACE Hardware.  Cost $1.29.  Even through it is listed as 1/2" the actual size is 3/8".

I installed this on my Cajun Bandit Stacker.  I drilled a 3/8" hole with some great titanium non-walking drill bits made by Dewalt.

Sorry the one pic is fuzzy but you get the idea.  Just be careful tightening the collar on the insert.  If it is too tight is will crush the insert.  I can get both probes in as long as they go in one at a time.  I use a Maverick.   
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:18:40 AM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Al b que

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
Cool that's a good option .but looking for the barbecue Pro eyelets but can't get them in the states I can't find ?

Sent from my VS986 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 08:50:11 AM »
Just a bit anecdotal information here as I have just posted this at another forum so mostly cut/paste:

During the design phase, we tried a few different thermometer placements and types. No one could decide on what to put where, where to put the ports for probes, etc and all that. Then they started in about "Well we need it one size fit all and what if someone sticks a finger in there and gets burned?" Finally I gave up because, well.. There's a saying, "We don't all need to agree and we don't all need to have a vote, We just need a decision to be made." And those that were in that position, couldn't decide. The best I could do was the range on the bi-metal thermometer. Those are generally +/- 10% and certainly well enough for cooking. That final position (unless it's been moved) was where I drilled into the lid on my deck one afternoon.

Back then I used to have all kinds of thermometers and probes going in and out and monitoring temps. In testing we had hundred thermocouples glued to the WSM like a made scientist feeding into a DAQ (data acquisition) and spitting out temps over time into an Excel file....  A lot of it was information.  Not entirely useful or helpful per se, but it was information.

I did an 18 hour shoulder on this past labor day. I started it at midnight, poured mop sauce on it for the first 2 hours or so but then went to bed. The temps dropped off about.. well I don't know when! I was asleep! But at 7:30am or so I stoked the coals and just let it sit around 200-250ish for the rest of the day, even going to the public pool with the family for a few hours.  No temp monitoring of anything beyond the basic lid thermometer as I walked past it as I was doing other things.

Around 6pm I opened it up, got my $5 instant read Taylor which read 197.. Whelp, it's done.

Someone at the other forum asked about opening the lid and looking and the temps dropping. It's really not that big of deal. In the dead of winter when it's -9 and I open the door to take out the dog, my entire house doesn't drop in temp. The objects don't freeze -even those right next to the door. So certainly the internal temp of whatever you're cooking won't drop if you're checking things out for a moment.

Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.