Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roti chicken on yellow  (Read 4929 times)

G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Roti chicken on yellow
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 03:12:07 AM »
Great pics and good looking chix.....

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
Great looking cook. I need to try my rotor on one of my fruits. I'm worried about the heat in the fruits and adding more grazing. But I think in the day, they used them with way more coals than we do. Plus they used lots of lighter fluid. Wonder what kettle temps were back then?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Is grazing the hairline cracks i have on my Cado's bowl ???

Yes, pretty positive it is. Also both fruits have porcelain pops at the low weld joint, for the charcoal holder...

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »
It must have been my iphone, all pics come up great on my laptop. Love that yellow kettle and the chicken looks fantastic!

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 05:10:24 PM »
Great looking cook. I need to try my rotor on one of my fruits. I'm worried about the heat in the fruits and adding more grazing. But I think in the day, they used them with way more coals than we do. Plus they used lots of lighter fluid. Wonder what kettle temps were back then?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Is grazing the hairline cracks i have on my Cado's bowl ???

Yes, pretty positive it is. Also both fruits have porcelain pops at the low weld joint, for the charcoal holder...

I've decided that I'm never going to pile up the coals on the side of bowls of my grills. When I need to cook indirect I'm always going to use the baskets. I think it's the direct contact that causes the crazing, at least most of it. Just my two cents.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 07:36:54 AM »
I'm convinced this is the sole reason why you also always see those large "nickel to quarter" sized chips on the sides of the bowls.  If you look where those chips are...they are almost always right over the spot welds for the bowl brackets that hold the charcoal grates up.

I've never banked my coals against the side of the bowl and have NEVER gotten a chip in that area of any of my grills.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »
I'm convinced this is the sole reason why you also always see those large "nickel to quarter" sized chips on the sides of the bowls.  If you look where those chips are...they are almost always right over the spot welds for the bowl brackets that hold the charcoal grates up.

I've never banked my coals against the side of the bowl and have NEVER gotten a chip in that area of any of my grills.

I do believe you're at least 95% correct......

Couple of instances come to mind.......

"Bob", my main smoker, had two very small chips at those points when I got him; he's only done two high heat performances.........
One, a burnout to then do vegan 'turds ( a sort of 'challenge' from somebody on Smoke Ring ) & a hot fire in the seasoning of the big original style wok......other than that it's all  300 degrees & lower.......
Chips remain the same......

I think the problem occurs when people want to do 6~700 degree pizzas & seared steaks & such, with banked coals & no basket; it's just too much for the slight weak point, the Achilles Heel, of the kettle...... :(

The other thing I remembered is being present when a kettle was "shocked"
A guy went to move the thing quickly & the wheels went out from under it......slammed on the concrete, golf ball sized chips at the handle attachment points where it hit, lid flew & landed on the handle, chips at both points there......

Also later noticed chips at the upper & lower grate holder weld points ( like you say) from the shock......heat is usually the cause............... :'(
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jperry1907

• WKC Brave
Roti chicken on yellow
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »
Tim inspired me to do a roti chicken too! His looks like a bee, I've been trying to decide what my red and silver looks like. Im thinking a red sports car with a racing stripe...

Here's a few pics

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 05:59:01 AM »
Looks good.  I guess that  CB ring have an extra set of holes  so you can flip it and use in on a WSM ?

If you don't get that version,   I guess it only has one set of holes. 
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

jperry1907

• WKC Brave
Roti chicken on yellow
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 06:35:54 AM »

Looks good.  I guess that  CB ring have an extra set of holes  so you can flip it and use in on a WSM ?

If you don't get that version,   I guess it only has one set of holes.

Yes, I got it from Cajun Bandit. It does fit on my 22 WSM when inverted, I just have to flip the bracket for the motor. I also have a ribolator attachment, which is pretty awesome