Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why buy a performer versus OTG?  (Read 6146 times)

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
Why buy a performer versus OTG?
« on: April 28, 2013, 02:04:10 PM »
Other than the little niceties, does the performer cook better than a OTG?

The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Re: Why buy a performer versus OTG?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 02:50:04 PM »
I don't think it cooks any better or worse, but those niceties sure make a difference. I don't think I could ever go back to a standard kettle again.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »
I have a barbecue buddy table and use the side burner on my genesis to light the charcoal.  Just trying to justify getting a performer. :)
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
I really like the side table. If you have other equipment that provides counter space convenient to your kettle then this is less an issue. I also have a cover for mine and that makes it a semi-decent wind break for my WSM. On particularly windy days I make a 'V' of my Performer and Silver A with the covers on to provide some protection.

There's also the storage space. Do you have enough storage space?
kettles, smokers...

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »
The performer was my first weber kettle (2009 model). After getting my 26 in kettle, I needed more table space. That is when I picked up a SS performer off of CL - gives me added table space and another kettle.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »
The performer is much sturdier to cart around the house. I store my kettle in the alley, but bbq in the yard. I always hated dragging the OTG through grass as the legs are kinda flmsy. I also don't really like the lid hook on the OTG. I used to hang it on the handle (It's alot easier than to hook on the bowl lip) and the handle would get dirty. The lid bale on the performer makes this a non-issue. The storage of the ss performer is also nice. The contents have never gotten wet, even though I store it outside uncovered. On top of that you have the table, baskets, starter, and ashcatcher.

On CL you can get a performer for less than the price of a new OTS. It's definately worth the upgrade or CL stalking.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 04:46:24 PM »
Love the performer, the kettle can be overflow...I light two grills at once on performer using baskets and a charcoal chimney...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »
I have both and wouldn't give up the performer.  Our kitchen/deck is on the second level and that's where the performer resides.  Below the deck on the patio is the OTG.  It depends on wind & weather which one gets used.  I do plan on adding a SS performer to the patio as a cooker, but more so for the nostalgia.  The OTG is great to toss in the back of the truck when heading to a place where I'm grilling.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 05:16:08 PM »
I really like the side table. If you have other equipment that provides counter space convenient to your kettle then this is less an issue. I also have a cover for mine and that makes it a semi-decent wind break for my WSM. On particularly windy days I make a 'V' of my Performer and Silver A with the covers on to provide some protection.

There's also the storage space. Do you have enough storage space?

That's so funny I do the same thing , make a fort around the WSM with my performers !
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 05:22:25 PM »
Guess I will continue my performer search...  thanks for the advice guys! 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
Where are you located?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 05:43:31 PM »
East coast...Maryland

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 05:55:50 PM »
I have a barbecue buddy table and use the side burner on my genesis to light the charcoal.  Just trying to justify getting a performer. :)
Ok here is your justification, you need it!!! ;D ;D   Btw i just got my BBQ buddy table, i can't wait to try it out!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »
without a performer,  where would you set your beverage while you are checking the meat ?
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »
Bryan, if you are on the east coast that changes everything. An OTG is what you want, definitely. I will send you the cl listings for all the OTGs, and you send me the info on all performers, okay?  ;-)"
One of the charcoal people.