Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to WSM. What mods are a must?  (Read 4822 times)

90b4032

• Smokey Joe
New to WSM. What mods are a must?
« on: August 01, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »
I'm picking up this 18" WSM from a Facebook sale page. I have been keeping an eye out for a used one for a while and finally found one. So what are the must have or must do mods for this puppy? Can't wait to try it out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New to WSM. What mods are a must?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:20:14 AM »
I would invest in some nomex gasket to seal that sucker up.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:51:32 AM »
Personally I really like the Cajun bandit door and latch.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Fazz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 11:46:57 AM »
Garage door handles from lowes for the main drum piece. Check out YouTube vids. They helped out a lot. Lid hinge also.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

buttman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
Wheels are a must

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »
I would start with handles on the middle section, as Fazz said. The garage door handles are cheap, and you can attach them using the existing bolts so no drilling is necessary.  Make sure the sections are not out of round, and bend the door, if necessary, to minimize leakage. Then I'd cook with it a while to see if anything else is really needed. Choose your mods based on your own experience, don't just rush to create what other people think is the "hot setup".  I consider wheels and the lid hinge to be worthwhile conveniences, and gaskets and other attempts at making the WSM air tight to be unnecessary overkill (just my opinion after cooking for 15+ years in a WSM without them).

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 03:17:58 PM »
If you're going to use probes and don't have the newer version this works great.  Two pieces, 3/8 pipe cap and 3/8 dia x 1" threaded pipe.  Under $5 at HD.

Sent from my XT1585 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 04:27:38 PM »
Great thoughts...

Mods are all up to you. Some people use theirs stock...some slowly trick it out. My top two are the CB door/latch and eyelets for probes (next purchase).

Nomex is another good option...if you get the CB door, you probably don't need to use the nomex around the door (mine is really snug--only get faint wisps of smoke from the door). Some guys want their WSM airtight...some don't care.

I opted to not get garage handles because I have an 18 (if I had a 22 I'd probably get them). Also...depending on your cover, the handles may prevent it from sliding on all the way.

All depends on how you will use and keep your WSM.

Congrats!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »
I have a 22 and It leaked a lot, I started out with the nomex on the door and it worked great. I happened to be ordering the Cajun Bandit Rotisserie so I figured I would get the door as well. The door quality and fit is amazing. I had to remove the nomex so it would close, but nothing leaks. The kit I bought also came with the high airflow charcoal ring. It's nice, it's slightly larger, the charcoal grate sits inside of it on tabs, but it is totally not needed. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 02:27:30 AM »
I run mine bone stock.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 03:47:13 AM »

I run mine bone stock.

Same here.

Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 04:28:45 AM »
I have a wsm 18.
No mods. Straightened the door. The Cajun bandit door is on my wish list but not a necessity.

For shutting mine down I remove the center section and cover coals with a lid from an 18. Snuffs them out fast.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:52:52 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New to WSM. What mods are a must?
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 04:44:23 AM »
Bought mine used and tried everything I could with the original door and latch and it just wouldn't work. Ran hot and wouldn't shut down. I bought the door and latch not knowing if that was the only problem but it ended up fixing everything and made temps more steady than I would have ever imagined. I'm fairly anti accessory and would have preferred to run stock but that door has been a great investment for my particular wsm.

Also I don't care about small leaks on wsm or kettles and don't strive for air tight. I just wanted my wsm to cook and shut down just like all of my kettles. That lies at the heart of why I like webers in the first place.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:46:44 AM by HoosierKettle »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 05:27:48 AM »
@HoosierKettle

If the stock door on my used WSM wasn't bent in half when I bought it and the latch completely destroyed, I probably wouldn't have upgraded to the CB straight away...but really glad I did.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 05:47:23 AM »

@HoosierKettle

If the stock door on my used WSM wasn't bent in half when I bought it and the latch completely destroyed, I probably wouldn't have upgraded to the CB straight away...but really glad I did.

Yep. Every time I open and close my cb door I get a little gleam in my eye [emoji3] the compression latch and heavy door just adds satisfaction.