Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dutch oven chili  (Read 5136 times)

Jaronimo

• WKC Brave
    • Cooking in my Yard
Dutch oven chili
« on: April 27, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »
Made some chili last night. 

Had it for breakfast.  Then again for lunch.
Copper colored Weber OTG, Black Weber OTS, Copper colored Weber E310, UDS, and a wood burning pizza oven.

Cooking in my Yard

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Dutch oven chili
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »
I take it was good  ;D ;D  Looks good!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »
Nice looki'n chili Jeronimo! How did you set that up?

Jaronimo

• WKC Brave
    • Cooking in my Yard
Dutch oven chili
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 03:02:11 AM »
I pulled the grilling grate off the 18 incher and put about twenty coals on the charcoal grate, then put the dutch oven right on those coals.  I added about ten more coals about an hour or so later.  Put the lid on the 18 and the dutch oven and let it simmer away for a few hours.

It did come out good.  Will probably finish it up this morning as breakfast. 

This was an experimental batch, i am going to tweak the recipe a bit and do it again next weekend.  Will post a recipe after its perfected.
Copper colored Weber OTG, Black Weber OTS, Copper colored Weber E310, UDS, and a wood burning pizza oven.

Cooking in my Yard

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »
Looks good! I love cooking on my Dutch ovens second only to my Webers. Didn't it get pretty hot with 20 briquettes under it?
kettles, smokers...

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Dutch oven chili
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »
Nice - I like seeing CI cookware being used with weber kettles - an awesome combination.

Jaronimo

• WKC Brave
    • Cooking in my Yard
Dutch oven chili
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 03:03:33 AM »
It was good with about twenty, especially in the beginning when i was browning all that meat and cooking the onions.  I did have to move some of them out later.  How many do you use on a 12 inch pot?

Cooking in my Yard

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
It was good with about twenty, especially in the beginning when i was browning all that meat and cooking the onions.  I did have to move some of them out later.  How many do you use on a 12 inch pot?
Probably eight or ten with 10 or 12 on the top. Lots of times I'll do cobbler in the Dutch oven and too many charcoals cause it to burn and the flavor goes down the tubes real fast.  :-[ But that was often with the DO in the open where it got plenty of air. If you close up the kettle and close the vents down to control heat, then more charcoal would not be a problem. To get the DO hot and brown meat, the extra heat would be useful.
kettles, smokers...

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Dutch oven chili
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »
This gives my a reason to get a 18 in kettle - or at least something I can tell the wife.

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
Dutch oven chili
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »
Looks great! I so need a 18
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Dutch oven chili
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 02:37:17 PM »
I have had good luck using a 26 in kettle and heating the oven indirectly. Probably use more fuel, but temp control is easy.

Jaronimo

• WKC Brave
    • Cooking in my Yard
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 07:00:46 AM »
That 12 inch dutch oven fits really nicely in the 18 inch grill.

Cooking in my Yard

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »
I used to do a lot of Dutch Oven cooking in Boy Scouts, its time for me to rediscover it! Great looking chili!  :D

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 05:05:48 AM »
I used to do a lot of Dutch Oven cooking in Boy Scouts, its time for me to rediscover it! Great looking chili!  :D
That's where I learned as well. Great for winter campouts - keeps breakfast warm while it is eaten.
kettles, smokers...