Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: stacked kettles = excellent smoker  (Read 6328 times)

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
stacked kettles = excellent smoker
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:45:29 AM »
Necessity is the mother of invention...I wanted to smoke a large brisket but it almost covered the grill on my 22 inch kettle so I could not get indirect heat.  No problem...I pulled the legs off, removed the bottom vents, and set it on top of my smaller (18-in) Weber after removing the lid from the small one.  Charcoal and wood chips go in the bottom kettle, smoke and heat rises through the vents in the bottom of the large one and I get perfect smoking.  Temperature control via top vents on the large kettle and bottom vents on the small one. I can reload wood chunks in the small one by briefly removing the large one and I never have to take the lid off the large one. Plenty of room for a drip pan below the grill on the large one.  Total indirect heat with no flare ups from drippings, even without the drip pan since drippings collect in the low spot of the large kettle and the vents are a little higher than that.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:12:11 PM by BillA from CA »
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

bmcneely51

• WKC Brave
Re: stacked kettles = excellent smoker
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »
Got any pics?? Sounds like a cool idea.

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 12:41:33 PM »
I have a pic, but I am new to this forum and can't figure out how to attach it :(
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:24:01 PM by BillA from CA »

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
Excellent, except that I did not cut a hole in the lid of the bottom one in my modification.  I just leave the lid lid off the bottom kettle and set the larger kettle into the smaller one. Because of the diameter difference there is enough space between the outside of the large one and the inside of the small one to accommodate charcoal and wood chunks.  Plus, my small one can still be used as a grill with intact lid if I don't use it as a part of the smoker assembly.  My large Kettle is >30 yrs old and still works like a champ in this application
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:13:42 PM by BillA from CA »

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »
Excellent, except that I did not cut a hole in the lid of the bottom one in my modification.  I just leave the lid lid off the bottom kettle and set the larger kettle into the smaller one. Because of the diameter difference there is enough space between the outside of the large one and the inside of the small one to accommodate charcoal and wood chunks.  Plus, my small one can still be used as a grill with intact lid if I don't use it as a part of the smoker assembly.  My large Kettle is >30 yrs old and still works like a champ in this application

..... immediately gets offers for his >30 year old kettle..... 

Welcome to party pal!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »
I have done this already before and have shared my other ideas including this one a while back on previous threads.

Anyways, here is the pic of mine posted before.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:09:16 PM »
That is very interesting. I'll have to try it.

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »
@greenweb: yep - that is it. I'm glad you were able to get a picture posted.  interestingly enough, I sorted for "stacked" before posting and did not see your previous post, although I might have missed it.  It is my first day here and was specifically trying to determine if my idea was new or not. You beat me to it. I do most of my outdoor cooking on this arrangement now.

Fazz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 07:12:44 PM »
That is really smart. I love this club

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 09:06:45 PM »
Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria! I wouldn't do this - I would separate the flat and the point to split the cook and use one of the other cookers peeking into your pictures.

But it's your food and your cookers. I hope that it turned out great!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »
That's inventive!

Probably made a mess of the outer porcelain of the top kettle!

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 09:35:20 PM »
Always wondered if an 18 would fit inside a 22 for a cold weather cooker

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 11:35:58 PM »
@BillA from CA I'd love to see your setup for this...and thanks to @greenweb for your pic.  If we saw some step by step pics for this method I think it would be of interest to everyone...I have an old 18 inches with no lid, and would find a low cost 22 to use this way.  Very nice idea!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 05:31:30 AM »
I have done this already before and have shared my other ideas including this one a while back on previous threads.

Anyways, here is the pic of mine posted before.

This is exactly the same set-up that I use.  Really simple procedure:
 Remove legs from 22"
Remove dampers from 22"
Remove lid from 18"
setup fire and wood chunks on the fire grate in the bottom of the 18".  This takes some experimentation but I normally start with about 14 -19(?) coals in a pile on one side and then make a string of unlit briquettes around the edge of the grate with one end of the string in contact with the lit coals.  They will gradually light and eventually, over a couple hours the whole string will have ben lit and burned.  You can add wood chunks intermittently along the string of coals or add periodically as desired.
Place the 22" on top of the 18" with the fire grate in place if you want to use a drip tray. Put your meat on the 22" grill, close lid.
Open top vents about 1/2 way
Open bottom dampener on the 18" about half way.
Adjusts vent/dampener as needed for desired temperature.
To check coals or add more coals or wood lift the 22" off and set aside. I use welding gloves to grab the outside of my 22" because it will  be really hot and my 22" only has one handle   Leave the lid in place.
Replace the 22" inch and continue cooking after messing with your fire.