Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking on a Weber Master Touch  (Read 5232 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Smoking on a Weber Master Touch
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 02:13:45 AM »

Just oil and season the chicken then cook it on high indirect heat. Add minimal smoke wood if you want the flavor profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. A full chimney in the charcoal baskets pushed to one edge lay down some foil to help make clean up easy. Vents wide open. Chicken on opposite side of the charcoal baskets and over the foil. One chunk of wood should be plenty.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Smoking on a Weber Master Touch
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 02:16:18 AM »
...appreciate the advice guys - thank you! Lots of different methods to experiment with.  :)

Just wondering if a set up like this would work, to smoke small pieces of chicken:

So red are my briquette baskets, which I like to use, centred under the centre section of my grill with some cherry wood chunks thrown in, and then have the chicken (brown circles!!), all around the outer ring of my grill on indirect heat, with the lid closed, until my connected temperature probe reads the correct temperature...

Thoughts?!

This works well. The reason I push my baskets to the side is because I like to use the foil as chicken fat makes a mess. But the baskets in the middle  work great too. Just a little more clean up after.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:32:20 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2017, 06:56:02 AM »
   Too much thought process going on for chicken parts. Apply your theory and show us pics. Fine tune on the next cook.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2017, 07:29:22 AM »
   Too much thought process going on for chicken parts. Apply your theory and show us pics. Fine tune on the next cook.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I agree. You don't need to overthink and analyze cooking on a kettle. The best way to learn is by getting your hands and kettle dirty. If something isn't working make adjustments and keep a log.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 12:05:41 AM »
Well - used a couple of cherry wood chunks, thrown into my charcoal baskets, and the chicken came out superb:

Cooked the chicken on indirect heat from start to finish (until 170F was reached on the probe) and was quite amazed at the colour which the smoke gave the food!! The chicken was also SO juicy and not dry like it sometimes is when cooking on a normal BBQ!!

I threw some burgers and sausages on there as well, after I had taken the chicken off and even then, the meat also took some quite nice colouring!

Definitely gonna be using my wood chunks for future cooks!
 :)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 05:20:16 AM »
Here's another technique for ya.

Save all the chicken trimmings. Especially all the fatty bits. Throw some on the grate above the fire just before you close the lid. The fat will melt and drip into the fire and give an extra layer of flavor. Be mindful of when you open lid..you could have a flare-up when the oxygen hits. It's no big deal cuz it's far from the food but it can be a bit surprising if not expecting it.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
Looks delicious! Glad it turned out so good

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 12:11:55 AM »
Well - used a couple of cherry wood chunks, thrown into my charcoal baskets, and the chicken came out superb:

Cooked the chicken on indirect heat from start to finish (until 170F was reached on the probe) and was quite amazed at the colour which the smoke gave the food!! The chicken was also SO juicy and not dry like it sometimes is when cooking on a normal BBQ!!

I threw some burgers and sausages on there as well, after I had taken the chicken off and even then, the meat also took some quite nice colouring!

Definitely gonna be using my wood chunks for future cooks!
 :)

.....so just following on from my post above (save starting a new thread!), once the chicken has cooked on indirect heat, how would I then get the skins to go all crispy? Would I just then place the chicken over direct heat for a few minutes, to sear the outer skins?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:06:22 AM by deans6571 »

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 03:20:16 AM »
......did anyone have any thoughts about this?

Although the chicken tastes and looks great, I am finding that when you actually bite into the skin of the chicken, it tends to pull the whole piece of skin off in one go!!!  If I could somehow get the skin of the chicken to crisp a little, then each bite of the chicken would then give a little skin!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 05:09:27 AM »
Rub the skin with oil, then season, then cook indirect at 400+ degrees. I usually use 3/4 chimney and run wide open as hot as I can.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Beachdude

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »
When I am ready to bring the chicken off, I just throw them over the direct coals and crisp up the skin. Just keep an eye on them because the chicken is technically done, and you don't want to over cook and dry them out.