Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking on a Weber Master Touch  (Read 5231 times)

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
Smoking on a Weber Master Touch
« on: July 04, 2017, 11:39:08 AM »
I have a BBQ coming up this weekend and want to try something new (only had my Master Touch a short while - 2 cooks in total so far!).

I want to try and smoke my meat. Will be cooking chicken drumsticks, thighs and breasts and have also bought some Weber Cherry Wood chunks.

Do I need to sear the chicken first and then add the wood chucks to the briquettes and then cook the  meat over indirect heat OR do I not bother searing the meat at all and just add the wood chunks to the briquettes right off the bat, and cook the chicken on indirect heat, right from the off?

Additionally - when cooking over indirect heat, do I cook my chicken to 165F or 175F (some website state 165 yet others state 175? My thermometer has its chicken preset as 175??)?

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smoking on a Weber Master Touch
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
170 is a good temp IMO...
Searing will make the meat more attractive and shorten the cook time...
Doing poultry parts low and slow I would always brine first...

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »
No need to sear. Throw em in there indirect and let em be happy. Don't use too many smoke chunks. It will make the chicken taste kinda acrid. A light blue clear smoke from the top vent is all you need. If you have a top vent that resembles a coal plant smoke stack then you have too much wood in there.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 02:11:30 AM »
No need to sear. Throw em in there indirect and let em be happy. Don't use too many smoke chunks. It will make the chicken taste kinda acrid. A light blue clear smoke from the top vent is all you need. If you have a top vent that resembles a coal plant smoke stack then you have too much wood in there.

.....how many is too many?!!!! I was thinking of adding perhaps 2 or 3 chunks!

And would I need to add some water (inside my drip tray), inside the Weber (i've seen people do this before??)?

What would be the exact temp to cook them to - 165 or 175, or somewhere in between?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:14:39 AM by deans6571 »

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 06:20:15 AM »
   160 to 165 for the white meat, 175 for the dark meat and indirect for both. If you dont brine at least inject the white meat.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 01:37:34 PM »
How about if I was to soak 2 or 3 wood chunks in water before hand - would that work instead of filling my drip tray with water?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »
How about if I was to soak 2 or 3 wood chunks in water before hand - would that work instead of filling my drip tray with water?

Two different subjects here. No need to soak wood chunks. Put them on and they should produce thin blue smoke. Not too much for poultry though. Poultry takes the smoke with ease.

Water in the tray is to add humidity to the cooker and to be a heat sink for better heat control. I only use water when I'm doing a brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
Just oil and season the chicken then cook it on high indirect heat. Add minimal smoke wood if you want the flavor profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »
Soaking wood will produce steam not smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 11:55:32 PM »
...thanks for all the advice here guys  -appreciated.
:)

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 02:36:42 AM »
What are people's views on this smoking method, as demonstrated by Weber Grills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ1do5y_X7M

...as I'm only doing small pieces of chicken (drumsticks, thighs and breasts) are these likely to come out as dark as the meat shown in this video?!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:40:12 AM by deans6571 »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 04:46:30 AM »
What are people's views on this smoking method, as demonstrated by Weber Grills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ1do5y_X7M

...as I'm only doing small pieces of chicken (drumsticks, thighs and breasts) are these likely to come out as dark as the meat shown in this video?!

Soaking chips is fine and the set up here is fine too.  There is more than one way to skin a cat.  This one is a good way to start..You can make adjustments to your process after a few sessions.  I am not sure about a low and slow smoke for chicken parts....it is not really necessary.  You can simply do a hot and fast indirect cook setup, with 1 or 2  wood chunks (depending on size) and come away with plenty of smoke flavor and color.   
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Smoking on a Weber Master Touch
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 05:20:17 AM »
+1 on hot indirect. You can bank on both sides or 1.

I use a modified large basket but you don't have to use any basket. Just dump the coals banked on one side and throw a wood chunk in the coal and cook in the other. Super easy.

You can also sauté on the hot side

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:26:24 AM by HoosierKettle »

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 05:39:42 AM »
...appreciate the advice guys - thank you! Lots of different methods to experiment with.  :)

Just wondering if a set up like this would work, to smoke small pieces of chicken:

So red are my briquette baskets, which I like to use, centred under the centre section of my grill with some cherry wood chunks thrown in, and then have the chicken (brown circles!!), all around the outer ring of my grill on indirect heat, with the lid closed, until my connected temperature probe reads the correct temperature...

Thoughts?!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 05:40:51 AM »
Yep. That will work great