Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thaan Charcoal  (Read 3130 times)

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
Thaan Charcoal
« on: July 03, 2017, 05:08:23 PM »
Anyone familiar with this charcoal?   Walked into Earthfare today and they had it labeled at $7.99/5lb box, however the the boxes are actually 30lbs each.  So I couldn't help but grab 3 boxes and may go get some more.  Figure I'll use this for specialty cooks but it should last a long time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Thaan Charcoal
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »
Damn, you scored.  Burns seriously hot and seriously long. 

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:42:58 PM »
Their website says you can put it out for reuse by dunking it in water and allowing it to dry. Must be very dense!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »
Interesting. I’m gonna have to check the earthfare by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 05:21:52 AM »
Family and guest said these were my best steaks cooked to date.  Decided to use my travel grill for this cook. Used 6pcs of Thaan and a few pieces of KP for starting.  Using one layer they didn't get as hot as expected, he ever they were hot enough to cook the steak. The drippings on the coals gave a different smell than what I'm accustomed to since they didn't burn and I think that contributed to the taste. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »
Asian style extruded charcoal is awesome. It has a great form factor that burns evenly and is so dense that it can burn very hot. The drawback is that it takes a long time to start. It seems like this charcoal is made of Rambutan wood so it's likely adding a nominal amount of fruitwood smoke. It also seems like you got a case instead of the individual boxes inside.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:50:27 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »
@wahoo95, thanks for the heads up, and @pbe gummi bear, thanks for a more thorough description. 

I picked up a case at my local Earth Fare, and PBE is right, the sale price is $8/box and 6 boxes in a case.  Apparently Earth Fare always gives a 10% case discount, so about $43/case. 

This really interested me because I've been lusting for a konro grill which uses this type of charcoal, but I've never seen it available locally. 

Pretty excited grill guy here, thanks. 

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 05:43:21 PM »
I wish i could find some cool charcoal around here... haven't really ventured away from the kbb yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »
@Wahoo95, thanks for the heads up, and @pbe gummi bear, thanks for a more thorough description. 

I picked up a case at my local Earth Fare, and PBE is right, the sale price is $8/box and 6 boxes in a case.  Apparently Earth Fare always gives a 10% case discount, so about $43/case. 

This really interested me because I've been lusting for a konro grill which uses this type of charcoal, but I've never seen it available locally. 

If I read it correctly, it looks like he got the whole entire case for $7.99.    I tried to swing by Earth Fare in Indy to see if they were doing the same thing when i was passing through on the 4th but they closed early.  Missed by 15 mins.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »
I got six 5lb boxes for $4.99 each, They were not a hot seller!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1285950731486072&id=116187658462391
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »
@swamprb, from what store for $5?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
@swamprb, from what store for $5?

local grocer Central Markets. It had been marked down and I asked the manager if they would give a discount on quantity. He gave me the $4.99 price and a Rain Check for future use. I ended up with 10 boxes. At the time he said they had a pallet and while it was popular at their other stores, it wasn't selling at his store.

I had seen a Vice channel documentary and another show about the Pok Pok owner and restaurant and was kind of hyped about the charcoal. I used a box for a couple rotisserie cooks and wasn't all that impressed with it on those cooks. Its meant for grilling and I'll save it for that. @Mr.CPHo
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
@Wahoo95, thanks for the heads up, and @pbe gummi bear, thanks for a more thorough description. 

If I read it correctly, it looks like he got the whole entire case for $7.99.    I tried to swing by Earth Fare in Indy to see if they were doing the same thing when i was passing through on the 4th but they closed early.  Missed by 15 mins.
Correct, I picked up 6bx cases for $7.99

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »
Picked up 3 more cases yesterday.  Cool thing is they've marked them down to $6.99/case now.   I may get more next week.

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 06:07:15 PM »
Live this stuff. Cooked chicken and bacon skewers tonight. Flavor was great!