Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis Gold B 2002 Inside Lid Clean up Help.  (Read 1496 times)

vader06

• WKC Ranger
Genesis Gold B 2002 Inside Lid Clean up Help.
« on: June 25, 2017, 06:47:38 AM »
I purchased a 2002 Genesis Gold B at an Estate Sale which was in good shape but it was extremely dirty.  I replaced the igniter, caster wheels and catch pan which was pretty inexpensive. Ace HW had a sale on Weber parts and I had a Ace Reward coupon which was awesome.   One burner was not working properly which I happened to have one laying around.  So all burners and ignition work great.   
I cleaned everything up except the inside of the lid.  It is the stainless lid.  It has a very thick greasy residue inside the lid.  I have an idea on how to clean the inside.  I have cleaned up many of kettles. 
Can I get some words of wisdom on properly cleaning the inside of the lid up if possible?  It is bad.
Plus there is a funky bad smell in the whole grill itself.  It had been sitting round untouched for awhile.  I just fire it up and let it burn off for awhile.  No problem there.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:53:49 AM by vader06 »
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

nitis

• WKC Brave
Re: Genesis Gold B 2002 Inside Lid Clean up Help.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »
Hit it with some degreaser then maybe some sos pads or steel wool. I think as long as you degrease it and knock the loose carbon off you should be good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:48:37 AM »
Easy Off, but be careful to stay away from exposed  SS. It won't hurt the porcelain or the inside of the lid.
Then scrape any loose stuff with a razor blade.
You'll never get it all off the inside sides of the lid. Its too porous.
Good Luck!
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 03:09:54 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't touch the inside central part of that lid.   The end caps ?  Sure, take a wire wheel or brush to them.  You could disassemble the lid to make it easier.     The inside center of that lid isn't SS.  It's a steel liner that can, and does rust/corrode.  Long story short, it's nicely seasoned the way it is.   If you think something "dirty" is there, wipe with some Simple Green or something similar and then rinse.   The loose/flaky stuff is carbon as Heyjude and Nitis said.  Just scrape off what you can.