Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Protocol for Craigslist pick-ups?  (Read 3057 times)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Protocol for Craigslist pick-ups?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 05:11:20 PM »
You gotta use common sense.. I've picked up grills in just about every place possible.
Only 1 time did I meet someone in a gas station and it felt a bit weird. As if they were selling a stolen grill..
I just think they needed the cash really bad.

I never take too much cash and always aware of my surroundings. Keep my phone handy and figure that most likely that its not likely Im gonna get mugged for a grill.

I keep waiting for a hot house wife to answer the door in her robe and invite me in.. Lol.
 8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »
I am 5' 6" and have bought and sold over 250 grills in 5 years, not a single issue  CL issues are overblown.

Thats like 1 grill a week, every week.  I thought I was bad, you need an intervention!
I think we need to start a list:

"Excuses we tell our wives where were going"...
And don't tell me that all wives are OK with bringing another Weber home.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 05:34:32 PM »
Maybe the figures are 250 in 6,  but yeah I have purchased a lot, dome weeks I will sell 5 grills an dome none.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 05:46:23 PM »
I have more trouble with the sellers thinking I'm going to rob them...

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »
I keep waiting for a hot house wife to answer the door in her robe and invite me in.. Lol.
 8)

Take a job cleaning carpets or a plummer for a few days.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 05:58:28 PM »
 8)

or become a pool guy they always do good in movies lol

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 06:01:19 PM »
i'm a cop and will always say that it never hurts to be prepared and you can't be too careful. as the saying goes, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. i've done a few cl transactions and if i thought the meet location or seller were even half sketch, i either brought someone else or carried my gun(or both). and regardless of possible sketch issues, i always make sure someone who isn't going knows where i'm going and about how long to expect me to be gone.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 06:20:26 PM »
I never thought about it until now but I haven't had any issues with CL or the other seller apps.  Good point about people not wanting to lug a grill to a public place and I figure I'm usually buying a grill for a price generally under $50. I know folks get robbed for less but I still don't think about it much. Maybe I'll change my approach from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 06:41:18 PM »
Protocol?

I show up to purchases dressed as a Ninja with a bow staff. I appear and disappear like a chameleon.......man. @LightningBoldtz knows my skills and has me on call for severe scores. I'm all foiled up coach...just put me in.

@pbe gummi bear also knows of my peculiar nature and acts in an ongoing advisory role.

Lets be careful out there.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 06:54:53 PM »
Protocol?

I show up to purchases dressed as a Ninja with a bow staff. I appear and disappear like a chameleon.......man. @LightningBoldtz knows my skills and has me on call for severe scores. I'm all foiled up coach...just put me in.

@pbe gummi bear also knows of my peculiar nature and acts in an ongoing advisory role.

Lets be careful out there.

I hear you bro. I lurk in the shadows and move like a panther

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »
I've never had a problem, but will give my wife info if it's not one of those last second-drop-everything-on-lunch-break pick ups. For CL sales, I typically meet up at a public parking lot right next to my municipality's cop shop... it's about a 1/4 mile from my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »
 8)

or become a pool guy they always do good in movies lol

Well, I'm not a plumber, carpet cleaner or a pool guy, so I guess Im just gonna have to keep dreaming!
I bet the UPS and FedEx guys see  a lot.
I should get to know a roofer, as I bet they see all the great looking grills just waiting to be rescued.
 8)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 07:16:01 PM »
I was a FedEx guy and you don't see much but a bunch of dogs barking at you though the side lights of the front door. There was a house that I delivered blinds to weekly and their dog always went ape shit on me. One day I was walking up to the front door and I got down to the glass and started barking back really loud. Scared the shit out of that dog. I was young and dumb but it was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 07:34:51 AM »
I usually try to meet in a public place but it's challenging with the size of what we are buying/selling.  If I'm selling, I always meet in a parking lot where there are likely cameras around.

I just ran across this article which really makes you wonder about CL dealings:
https://www.local10.com/news/crime/teen-who-received-football-scholarship-fatally-shot-during-craigslist-transaction
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 09:02:32 AM »

I buy, restore and resell quite a few Weber kettles. It helps support and justify purchasing some of my more rare, collectible kettles.  I have not had a bad experience yet, but after 30 years as a Deputy Sheriff in the Oakland, California area, I am a pretty good at assessing folks. Most of my purchases are in the $25 to $50 range and sales are in the $70 to $200 (Performers). Not a lot of money, but I have worked multiple robbery cases and a homicide case that began with CL vehicle add placed or responded to by the victim.

1- I always ask for a buyers cell phone number to arrange for a meeting. I want to talk to them and hear the person's voice I will be interacting with, prior to arranging a meeting. This way you get a r
     good sense of a person's age and gender, opposed to a straight internet transaction.  A person not willing to give their phone number is a red flag. I understand that some sellers do not want to
     give out their numbers, but I am usually going to their house and don't have the same concerns that I have with someone coming to mine.

2- After talking to the person and I get any sense of uneasiness,  I arrange to meet them at my local Police or Sheriff's Department parking lot to conduct the transaction.  Anyone that is reluctant to
    meet in this location, you don't not want to be involved with.

Be smart, be safe, use common sense.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"