Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Portable BBQ  (Read 2206 times)

dazzmaster

• Smokey Joe
Portable BBQ
« on: June 12, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »
I have a Smokey Joe, that I use when I am on camping or away from home. However, there isn't a lot of room on it so I was hoping to make convert a larger kettle into a portable BBQ. A full sized kettle is much too big to be able to do this, so I got hold of a 57cm Compact. I was going to get some steel tubing, and cut it down for some shorter legs, and use it that way. However, even though it is a compact and not full sized, at 57cm diameter it is quite big. I was wondering if you can get 47cm compact kettles which in my mind would be an ideal size. However, I have only seen them with the extra depth like a full sized 57cm.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Portable BBQ
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 04:06:13 AM »
If you're looking for a ready-made larger camping kettle, the Jumbo Joe (18"/47cm) is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 05:00:44 AM »
I don't think he's from the US.  Not sure where the JJ is sold..

@dazzmaster   Hey, are you related to @dazzo  ?? lol
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

dazzmaster

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 05:04:48 AM »
As far as I'm aware, the jumbo Joe is not available in Australia.

I have no idea who @dazzo is :p

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 05:07:41 AM »
Lol..  The 47 cm is an 18
Just make it into a take along by making 3 shorter legs that you can take off.
If possible, make them short enough to stow inside the bowl during transport.

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 05:16:08 AM »
@dazzmaster the JJ was available for a short period of time in Oz, then removed. And now available again but mostly new ones. Very scarcely seen on Gumtree, you might have to go new or build your own. See   http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=25011.0

Personally I like the GA for camping

dazzmaster

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 04:54:56 PM »
@bear That's what I was expecting. That's a regular 47cm, right? I was thinking about that, but wondering if you could get a compact 47cm, with not so deep a bowl, so it would take a bit less room. How does the GA compare, grate size, to the 47cm. Your build does look good though, I might have to try that.

@Heyjude I understand that. I was planning on that, but I was just wondering if there was a compact 18", so it's not quite so deep.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
This is about as compact as you can get in a kettle.

A GA is a totally different size and style.  Its a great portable grill if you don't need a lot of real estate

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 02:44:36 AM »

@bear That's what I was expecting. That's a regular 47cm, right? I was thinking about that, but wondering if you could get a compact 47cm, with not so deep a bowl, so it would take a bit less room. How does the GA compare, grate size, to the 47cm. Your build does look good though, I might have to try that.

@Heyjude I understand that. I was planning on that, but I was just wondering if there was a compact 18", so it's not quite so deep.

Yes, my build is a regular 18"

Deeper grill probably more versatile for a camping grill.

dazzmaster

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 05:10:35 PM »

Yes, my build is a regular 18"

Deeper grill probably more versatile for a camping grill.

Thanks @bear, I will see how I go. I might have to keep an eye out for a good priced 18" near me.