Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling Guides  (Read 719 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Grilling Guides
« on: May 07, 2017, 02:46:31 AM »
Since I am a newbie trying to get good at serious kettle cooking......I was browsing the Weber site.  I found tons of actual recipes and printed out the Grilling Guides.  This gives you the various cuts of meat with average lbs or thicknesses, cook time, method and IT. Most of you probably already know this from experience, but for anyone starting out, this is very helpful.

Pic showing the various categories you can review

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grilling Guides
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:16:07 PM »
That's pretty good information there but they are assuming the reader has a decent grasp of fire control and coal setups. A lot of us use a reverse sear technique. Meaning set up a 2 zone set up for indirect and start the meat on the indirect side and cook to almost finished. Like 5 degrees shy of desired finished temp give or take.. then slide the steaks to the piping hot side to get a good sear on the meat.  90 seconds. Turn 45 degrees for a fine cross hatch. 90 seconds. Flip. No need for cross hatch on back side IMO unless you mess up the first side(presentation side). I do all the searing with the lid open to prevent too much internal temp rise.
Everyone has their way but essentially it's all the same. Start indirect, finish with a sear on the hot.

The Weber books have useful info in the front sections. YouTube is super helpful. Weber grill skills is good info. Pretty soon you will be picking up the $200 ribeye roast at Costco without fear.

Get a thermapen. Your grill game with increase tremendously. All the apps, books, YouTube videos, and forums can't tell you "exactly" when to pull product off the heat. A thermapen can. Knowing when to remove food from the fire is the most critical part IMO and to know that you have to know the internal temp.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

EricD

• WKC Brave
Re: Grilling Guides
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:50:18 AM »
If you're a newbie, check out www.Amazingribs.com.  It's not just for ribs!  Tons of information for the New and the seasoned vets. As well as recipes,and reviews.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie