Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First 70+ degree day in PNW!?!? Fire up the grill!  (Read 857 times)

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
First 70+ degree day in PNW!?!? Fire up the grill!
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »
After the rainiest October-April in Seattle area history.... we finally had a sunny day over 70! Perfect grilling weather

Had some chops, slightly too thin to grill if I'm being honest. But again, the sun was out and nothing was gonna stop me.

Did a quick and dirty brine in 'Santa's workshop' 4 cups water 3 Tbs kosher salt 3 Tbs Brown sugar, some garlic, red chili flakes and pepper corns for good measure. Into fridge for 3 hours

To go along with a side of foil potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper, rosemary and a smashed garlic clove. I boil them for 10 minutes and let cool before placing on grill for 20 minutes.

I threw on some chicken breasts for grilled chicken ceaser salad lunches for good measure. Seasoned with avocado oil, red pepper flakes, rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper.

Due to the fact chops were so thin, I wasn't able to get a great sear on them. But, on the plus side I did ok not drying the hell out of them. Indirect heat for 7 minutes, direct heat for 2 minutes.

Oh, and if anyone is looking to hire a professional grate cleaner... I know a pug!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: First 70+ degree day in PNW!?!? Fire up the grill!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 05:26:53 PM »
it's 97 here right now at 6:30 pm

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »
Nice cook!  Like the santa bowl!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
Nice Thrillho......good to see another PNW guy/gal here!! Also welcome to the club...
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »
@LiquidOcelot 97 degrees at 6:30 pm is too damn hot!

@Ken Mc Thanks! Is there not many PNW folk frequenting the WKC?

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 08:27:18 AM »
we have some, and our numbers are growing...but nothing like back east......check the map out...
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »
Very nice!  How did the pork chops turn out?  I've never brined them.

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
@Lightning I always brine my chops, it helps keep the pork moist during the cook. These particular chops turned out OK, just a touch on the dry side. It was eatable, but because cut was slightly less than 3/4 inch thick, I really should not have not have grilled them. I originally planned to do on stove/in oven combo but no way I wasn't grilling on first nice day of the year.

Chicken was delicious in my ceaser salad at lunch today though!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »
Nothing wrong with thin chops on the grill. Season and cook direct. Might be my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app