Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roast potatoes  (Read 5011 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Roast potatoes
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 09:43:42 AM »
Why are they so dry?

You mean you didn't inject them?
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 12:48:42 PM »
I first cut and cook them for 7-8 minutes in a boiling water. Then I'm adding olive oil, dry rosemary, salt and pepper, putting the cover on the pan and shaking them (all of them are getting easily covered with spices and oil). I'm using always the indirect method, putting the potatoes not in a basket but simply in an aluminium pan (dripping pan) and keeping them on bbq for approx. 1,5 hour at approx. 400 f. They always keep the moisture inside and are really crispy outside.

Sent from my SUPER using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

good suggestions @qrczak1 and welcome to WKC!
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 01:11:47 PM »
Thnx👍

Cellar2ful

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »

It might have been the length of time you cooked them.  I do my red potatoes quartered with olive oil, fresh chopped rosemary and lemon pepper.  I dump them on a SS tray just like yours and cook indirect for 15 to 20 minutes.  The one thing I have found helps is to turn them all so the round, skin side is down touching the SS tray. Sometimes, depending on what else I am cooking in the kettle, they get a little apple wood smoke.  Gives them a real nice lite, sweet apple wood smokey flavor. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 04:53:28 PM »
If they're idaho spuds they have been kept alive in storage for about 9 months while they consume their own juice to stay alive til planting season, so the quality ain't what it was when they were harvested. Red & gold taters tend to harvest earlier too.

Depending on the variety some taters store longer than others also.

This is planting season and harvest is August-September.

So ya I'd blame the tater too.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 04:58:58 PM »
Or maybe they're just overcooked. They Cook quicker when they're cut up. Hour & a half is a long cook for cut tater.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 08:30:49 AM »

I highly recommend using CI to cook cut-up potatoes on the kettle.
I prefer to go with coconut oil as it can handle the high-heat.
Direct heat for most of the time, then over to indirect to finish.

Let your senses guide you (sight and smell) to indicate when they're done.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »

I first cut and cook them for 7-8 minutes in a boiling water. Then I'm adding olive oil, dry rosemary, salt and pepper, putting the cover on the pan and shaking them (all of them are getting easily covered with spices and oil). I'm using always the indirect method, putting the potatoes not in a basket but simply in an aluminium pan (dripping pan) and keeping them on bbq for approx. 1,5 hour at approx. 400 f. They always keep the moisture inside and are really crispy outside.

good suggestions @qrczak1 and welcome to WKC!

I do something very similar, boil for ten minute. Toss in oil, Rosemary, parsley salt and pepper. Let cool. Place in foil with smashed garlic clove on top. Place on direct heat ~20 minutes. Consume.

Post boil, pre-grill.

Plated

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 01:04:22 PM »
Gotta agree with the par-boiling.  I'm planning some tonight to go along with my wings.  I'll probably do them on my GrillGrates - smooth side up of course.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Efkay

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 05:23:55 PM »
Have only just spotted this thread and whilst it's pretty old right now, I thought I'd add my suggestion - for what it's worth!

The best roast tatties are made with 'floury' potatoes and it's essential to remove their skins. Cut them to the size you require, then, as suggested by several people, parboil them. Say 5-6 mins, just so the outer quarter of an inch or so is softening. Drain the water away - and here's the magic - put the lid back on and shake the pan until the outer edges of the potatoes are roughed up. This ensures that the outside becomes really crunchy.

For me the next ingredient is essential - duck or goose fat. Melt the fat in a foil container and when hot, add the potatoes and move them around until they are all coated. Cook indirect hot. Add rosemary sprigs, but remove if/when they start to burn/blacken.

Eh voila - fluffy middles and crunchy skins - divine!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 05:48:37 AM »
Efkay is 100% right. A bit of effort but seriously another level of tasty.   I'm going to have to adapt that recipe to the kettle. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Efkay

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 02:40:14 AM »
The only adaption you need to make Chasing_smoke is to ensure you use a shallow foil or metal container and do not cover the potatoes!

Bon appetit!