Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Woodard Appreciation Thread  (Read 12307 times)

harris92

• WKC Performer
Re: Woodard Appreciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 04:44:53 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 05:50:50 AM »
Love the chariot and seville, @harris92.  Were all these carts painted white when new?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 07:35:01 AM »
My recently acquired dual kettle Chariot. Currently out for media blasting and powder coating.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:55:24 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »
Got the 1950's Woodard Sculptura set back from powder coating.  Came out really nice.  Prior to being painted, I had a welder add 3" of height extensions to the chairs and table legs.  The chairs were way to low for my comfort.  Perfect height now.

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »
My recently acquired dual kettle Chariot. Currently out for media blasting and powder coating.
@Cellar2ful, can you elaborate on the media blasting part of your project? I'm currently in the process of sand blasting my Chariot.... and it is not going well.

I picked up a Woodard patio set (three piece 'couch' and spring rocker) with the 'Acorn' pattern at an estate sale two or three years ago, and then later acquired the Chariot from a WKC member in St. Louis. I now want to get them all powder coated but the place that does the powder coating is not set up to prep the materials to be painted. You have to bring them in all cleaned up and ready for the powder coating process - which, I was told, should be down to clean metal. I checked around and no one in my area does sand blasting for this sort of thing. They all do much bigger projects like cabins and truck chassis, etc. I got a quote from the only one that would even provide one that said they'd need minimum $1000 just to get started! So I decided to do it myself. I've so far purchased one DeWalt 30 gal. belt drive compressor, four bags of special sand, one sand blast hose/nozzle kit, one set of protective goggles and a silly head hood that looks like a bee keepers outfit. Oh, and six 8' 2x4s and two large tarps to construct a blasting 'room' in hopes of capturing some of all that sand for re-use. Three days into it now and all I've got is about one half of the way through one of the pieces! At the rate its going it will take hundreds of hours to get down to clean metal on all five pieces.
So I'm curious as to how your pieces looked before bringing them in for powder coating (that is, after they were prepped). Your Sculptura set looks especially challenging with all that mesh grating. How did you get the metal clean inside all that mesh?!
I wonder if there is another way to get the paint off? A lye bath? Does anybody have input they can share regarding similar experiences?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:52:55 PM by Dale Benson »
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

Cellar2ful

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »
@Dale Benson - The place I used thankfully did both the sand blasting and powder coating.  It is a family owned business that has been in operation since 1968. I never saw them stripped of all the paint as they do both the sand blasting and powder coating on site at the one facility. I did see their sand blasting and powder coating booths in use when I dropped off my Chariot.   They are known for doing a lot of custom metal powder coating for hot rod builders in our area.  The cost for sand blasting and powder coating was $150 total.  The next closest bid I had was $300 to both sand blast and powder coat it.  If you have any car builders in your area, you might try reaching out to them for sources of sand blasting and powder coating.   

Here is a link to their website:        http://melrosepowder.com/contact.html

Here is my Chariot finished.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:50:55 PM by Cellar2ful »

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »
Thanks much for the feedback. I'll check around with auto body places tomorrow.
Beautiful job on the Chariot restore.
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 10:33:34 AM »
 Just got home from an Estate Sale that was four blocks away from my house.  This Lounge Chaise looked like a Woodard product. It's nicely crafted but has been repainted in silver paint. Came with this set of custom cushions that I think were recently made. The price was affordable so I brought it home. It may or may not be made by Woodard but just looks like those Woodard wheels.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
Whether it is or not it looks pretty neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

UserGone

• WKC Brave
Woodard Appreciation Thread
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »
I couldn't leave well alone. I saw what looked to be a small rectangular name badge that had been painted over. A little paint thinner on a rag and a few seconds later... there it is. It's a Lee L. Woodard Sons. The metal name plates were replaced by decals in the late 1970's.

It's an Oak Leaf pattern that is part of the Woodard Florentine Group. I found this 1960 ad online.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 04:43:34 AM by Smokin Performer »

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
Retired

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »
An Orleans...Very nice...

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 12:02:43 PM »
Today is Woodard day.
I saw this on my local CL this morning:

And I stumbled across this in person:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
Oh my!  What color bowl is hiding under those flowers????

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »