Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weeknight Cooks  (Read 1746 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Weeknight Cooks
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »
I have been grilling on Sunday evenings enough meat to make three meals so we have dinner for several nights. I am starting to grill the same things and am looking for new ideas. Any suggestions? Here is what I have recently done:

Steak
Burgers
Chicken thighs
Rotisserie chicken
Chicken breasts
Chicken legs
Shish kebabs
Fajitas
Pepper stout pulled beef
Pulled pork
Ribs
Rack of lamb
Venison back strap
Bacon wrapped venison

My wife isn't a big fan of pork chops so that has been left off the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weeknight Cooks
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
Marinated Pork Tenderloin
Standing rib roast (will yield dinner and a boatload of lunches)

FWIW, my wife was not a fan of pork chops either, until I marinated some bone-in chops and grilled them over apple wood.  Now she is a fan.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »
Marinated Pork Tenderloin
Standing rib roast (will yield dinner and a boatload of lunches)

FWIW, my wife was not a fan of pork chops either, until I marinated some bone-in chops and grilled them over apple wood.  Now she is a fan.

I forgot about pork tenderloin.  I have done that.

I also have done salmon and mahi mahi.

What do you marinate your pork chop and pork tender in?

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 07:37:16 PM »
it was the pantry pork chop marinade on the weber site
http://www.weber.com/recipes/pork/pantry-pork-chops

the tenderloin was this....
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/176359/easy-marinated-pork-tenderloin/
I came home and discovered I was assigned cooking duties for the night, needed something simple...turned out fantastic.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »
There's Bratwurst, Italian Sausage, Polish Kielbasa. How about pork roast, beef roast or beef pot roast?
May The Smoke Be With You!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 08:02:08 PM »
Smoked meatloaf/balls?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »
LASAGNA!!!! 

I'll have to post this separately with pictures, but ANYTHING you can cook on the stove or in the oven you can do on the grill.  ( you can use shredded mozzarella in place of smoked mozzarella)

Lasagna baked on the grill using mozzarella I smoke about a month ago.
I started by using my meat slicer to thinly slice some mozzarella I smoked followed by some unsmoked mozzarella. I knew that the cheese in the very top would absorb smoke while cooking so the unsmoked was for this layer.
Next I sautéed some diced onion in my cast iron skillet using my vortex in my Red SSP. I also got some charcoal going in my compact chimney to go into my Slow-n-sear in my 26er. Once the onions were about done I added some minced garlic then 1.5 lbs of ground beef and seasoned with Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper. You could use Italian sausage instead, but I grew up with ground beef in lasagna so that is what a prefer. Browned all of the ground beef then drained it.
Ground beef was mixed with store brand meat sauce out of a jar.
Now the lasagna layering starts. I sprayed my pan with pan then the first layer in was some of the reserved meat sauce from the jar. I didn't want the sauce and ground beef mixture on the bottom, just some plain sauce to make sure the first layer of noodles cooked. Next came a round of lasagna noodles straight out of the box. I've never pre-cooked lasagna noodles and I'm not starting now. Don't bother buying the "no boil" noodles most pasta companies sell. It's a marketing ploy to get you to pay twice as much. Next layer was the ground beef and sauce, topped by another layer of noodles. The noodles were topped with ricotta then the ground beef sauce mix then the smoked mozzarella. I got out another jar of sauce and covers the mozzarella with it. That was covered in noodles then got more ricotta and some more sauce. I think it's important to have sauce on each layer to give he noodle enough moisture to cook properly. The top got another round of sauce followed by shredded Parmesan and a nice thick layer of uncooked mozzarella.
The lasagna was placed onto the grill uncovered for the first 20 minutes with some applewood chip for Smoke. It was then covered in foil the rest of the cook. I rotated the lasagna about half way through so both side would cook equally. My grill was around 375 most of the cook. The lasagna was pulled off of the grill after about 55 minutes total cook time.
It turned out really good, but could have used a little more sauce. The noodles really suck a lot of the moisture out of the sauce. There had a really nice smokey flavor, not too strong, but not too light. Overall it was very successful and when I added a little bit more sauce over some leftovers today it was even better.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 07:41:22 AM »
LASAGNA!!!! 

I'll have to post this separately with pictures, but ANYTHING you can cook on the stove or in the oven you can do on the grill.  ( you can use shredded mozzarella in place of smoked mozzarella)

Lasagna baked on the grill using mozzarella I smoke about a month ago.
I started by using my meat slicer to thinly slice some mozzarella I smoked followed by some unsmoked mozzarella. I knew that the cheese in the very top would absorb smoke while cooking so the unsmoked was for this layer.
Next I sautéed some diced onion in my cast iron skillet using my vortex in my Red SSP. I also got some charcoal going in my compact chimney to go into my Slow-n-sear in my 26er. Once the onions were about done I added some minced garlic then 1.5 lbs of ground beef and seasoned with Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper. You could use Italian sausage instead, but I grew up with ground beef in lasagna so that is what a prefer. Browned all of the ground beef then drained it.
Ground beef was mixed with store brand meat sauce out of a jar.
Now the lasagna layering starts. I sprayed my pan with pan then the first layer in was some of the reserved meat sauce from the jar. I didn't want the sauce and ground beef mixture on the bottom, just some plain sauce to make sure the first layer of noodles cooked. Next came a round of lasagna noodles straight out of the box. I've never pre-cooked lasagna noodles and I'm not starting now. Don't bother buying the "no boil" noodles most pasta companies sell. It's a marketing ploy to get you to pay twice as much. Next layer was the ground beef and sauce, topped by another layer of noodles. The noodles were topped with ricotta then the ground beef sauce mix then the smoked mozzarella. I got out another jar of sauce and covers the mozzarella with it. That was covered in noodles then got more ricotta and some more sauce. I think it's important to have sauce on each layer to give he noodle enough moisture to cook properly. The top got another round of sauce followed by shredded Parmesan and a nice thick layer of uncooked mozzarella.
The lasagna was placed onto the grill uncovered for the first 20 minutes with some applewood chip for Smoke. It was then covered in foil the rest of the cook. I rotated the lasagna about half way through so both side would cook equally. My grill was around 375 most of the cook. The lasagna was pulled off of the grill after about 55 minutes total cook time.
It turned out really good, but could have used a little more sauce. The noodles really suck a lot of the moisture out of the sauce. There had a really nice smokey flavor, not too strong, but not too light. Overall it was very successful and when I added a little bit more sauce over some leftovers today it was even better.

That sounds amazing.  Unfortunately my wife can't eat dairy. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 07:42:42 AM »
@tb80  -  Just make lasagna without cheese???  LOL.  But seriously, anything you can make inside without the microwave, you can do on the grill!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »
Cornish Game hens.  One to a person.  Either whole or spatchcocked. Baste with garlic and rosemary infused butter.

Salmon fillets.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 04:53:04 PM »
Stuffed peppers...
I like to roast the peppers first...
Then the "soft" stuffed peppers get propped up by a bed of cornbread stuffing in a pan of some sort...
I'll see if I can find some pics...

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
Meatloaf

Sent from my VS985 4G using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »
Bread. Here are a couple of really easy ones.

No-knead dutch oven bread. This is a beautiful thing. You mix the dough the night before, cook it the next day. You don't knead, or wait for a rise - because you are just getting it ready for the next day.

When it is time to cook, all you have to do is pre-heat the dutch oven over the coals, then move the oven to the indirect side. Dump in the dough and cover everything up and let it cook. Very quick and easy.

I can make this on a 22 cooking grate with a Lodge "Double Dutch Oven" - no need to put the dutch oven into the basement, but if your dutch oven doesn't fit, then that's what you can do - put it onto the charcoal grate.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

Naan. You can prep this the night before also, but you have to knead the dough. I have a stand mixer so the kneading part is easy - dump in all ingredients and turn the thing on.

I make the dough on Sundays and put it into the refrigerator. Then throughout the week I can snatch off golf ball sized pieces to throw over the coals to cook in about two minutes. I just take the snatched pieces out to the grill and flatten them out with my hands. How many time do I need to use "snatched" in this paragraph?

You can also make an easy flatbread pizza with this dough - because...uh...naan is flatbread.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/08/grilled-naan-recipe.html

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »
Shrimp is always well received in my house. Dont forget you can also cook the veggies on the grill

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »
Also, if you have any cast iron, pan and Dutch oven, the possibilitys are endless.