Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: what is it for you?  (Read 2438 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: what is it for you?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »
For me it's about using a timeless classic to cook great food on. Also, there is no limit to creativity and learning when it comes to cooking and grill modifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »
@LiquidOcelot

You forgot to mention your a tool guy. Technicians love tools and gadgets.  As for your friends and family clowning you for your new fetish..stop cooking for them. Make yourself a fat grilled steak, grilled veggies, and one of my favs grilled cornbread and eat the shit in front of everyone. Feed them canned soup. It's annoying to me when people give me crap about my grills and then praise me for the best steak they have ever eaten.

I got here because I had the whole family over for a picnic by the pool at my last apartment and the crappy poolside grills were a pain in the butt. So..the next day I bought a brick red OTP.
was just talking to my snap on dealer. he has a gennisis that's 30 years old. still using it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 03:44:12 PM »
I've always really enjoyed barbecuing and spending time with the family when I find old Weber and my kids and I fix them up and cook on them there's nothing better and more special  than that time we spend together

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 07:02:15 PM »

so what brought you here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Well I love to grill I was mainly a dare I say "Gasser Guy" I went Looking for some new stuff to grill, and I must say fate brought me here. I only had 2 Charcoal and 5 gassers. Now 3 gassers and 30+ charcoal. I really enjoy all the folks on the site made some good friends meet some great folks.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
what is it for you?
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 03:08:23 AM »
When I built my first house I purchased an $1100 stainless steel gas grill that rusted out after about 4 years.  Swearing to never buy an expensive grill again I bought a $300 gas grill that rusted out after 3 years.

The myth of charcoal takes too long had been ingrained at youth, my dad being a cheap gasser kinda guy.

Then about five years ago a friend introduced me to a tool known as a charcoal chimney and lump charcoal which  dispelled all the myths about cooking with charcoal and how "long it takes to prepare the coals"

So being at our lobster dock from 4am-6pm I don't have a lot of time to secure lunch so most days it was fast food-subs, burgers, pizza with a bag of chips.  Usually costing around $10

I bought a Smokey Joe and started cooking at the dock.  I'd run to the grocery store at 9am, buy whatever protein was on sale and fire up the SJ.

Quickly discovering that often times for under $10 you could buy enough food to feed two or three guys.  So after a month or so of feeding my fishermen as they came in one of them gifted me a beat up black OTG.  Then I joined he Barbeque Brethren which is a great resource for recipes and asking questions you might have about smoking and different BBQ techniques. 

Then I discovered this place and the grill restoration guides were just awesome.  When I used a razor scraper and steel wool to clean up that Black OTG to 85% of new condition I was hooked. 

I couldn't believe that there was something that someone gave away was that useful, produced such great food, was so timeless, which parts were so readily available for.  So then, after coming here multiple times a day selling off the gassers in the yard I got the bug, the search, the clean ups.  What people probably don't get is how much I enjoy he clean up process, bringing something that had layers of crud on to looking so beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:14:30 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 09:08:55 AM »
I grew up with a Weber Kettle in my backyard that my dad cooked on....when it was time for a grill I knew I wanted a Weber & I lobbied my wife for a SSP and received it as a birthday gift in 2002.  My wife then got me the OKP in 2015 for father's day to make doing whole meals, especially with company over, a little easier.  In 2016 after 14 years with the SSP, I was contemplating getting rid of it, because of the loose frame (which I had repaired about 6 years prior), and getting a 2nd OKP.  But, after stumbling across this site, I decided to fix up my SSP with tips I found here....glad I found this site; it is the home of very knowledgable and kind people.  I wished WKC existed in 2008/9, when I wanted to fix up my frame the first time....it would have saved me a lot of time and energy.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 11:18:16 AM »
I'm here because I heard about it on another forum... love this place! I've been cooking on Weber kettles for more years than I want to admit to. Since I've been here, I wish I had kept the old kettles that went away. All my kettles now are modern, and I love them. There have been many changes/improvements thru the years that Weber has done. I do love the premium, and the taco handle. That heat shield works wonders, especially using the Vortex. I don't know what the hate is to some members about the taco. I have found the only discrepancy to be the cheap assed tin nuts holding it in place that loosens up. I replaced them with a REAL nut and lock washer. Problem solved.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 07:20:37 PM »
Webers have been in my family tree since my Dad got one in 1970 or 71.  It is a Red Pat. Pending 22".  The funny thing is he only used it when he wanted to indirect cook a roast.
His daily go to grill was a Hibachi.
He gave me an H code one touch silver as a house warming present when I bought my first house.  That was my daily cooker for decades. I also had a Go anywhere charcoal for camping.
I bought a black Gen 2 Performer to get the table and propane starter.  That is my go to daily cooker for past 10 years.  I retired the H for duty when I was cooking for a party and need more room.
A couple of years ago my Mom gave me my Dad's red head.  It is now my overflow cooker and the H has a Kettle Pizza attachment on it.

I found WKC when I was remodeling the backyard and I was looking for ideas for custom BBQ carts. I am a diehard charcoal burner and there was no way I was putting a propane grill in the backyard.
Through this group I bought a 2014 Copper performer (thanks @SmokenJoe) to be the basis of my custom cart. I am almost finished with the cart. I should be taking the frame and cover panels to the powder coater some time this week.  One of these days I will post pictures.
Through this group I learned the history of the company and the ages of all my grills. They are all cookers. 
I will either sell the Gen2 performer or clean it up and give it to my oldest son. He graduates college this spring and he likes grilling. Depends on what his living arrangements turn out to be.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »
I think the thrill of the hunt is part of my obsession and the collecting is fun as well. I started with a black OTS off of craigslist and then bought a red M/T from @LightningBoldtz I enjoy looking everyday hoping something unique will pop up (which isn’t often in Ohio). It is also makes for some great food. I am similar to most people if I start in on something I am going all in. Trying to learn everything I can about a certain subject. I love to learn new things and dive right in. This place has a ton of knowledge and I love scouring the forums everyday learn new stuff. I also love to cook so this helps that urge as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 10:07:07 PM »
For me...it's a few things somewhat intertwined.

I like them because my dad has always had a Weber (some gas, some charcoal). These days it's actually bringing us closer together; especially our 18" WSM's. He will send me a random text asking about charcoal, wood, or temp control. I freakin' love that.

Another part is I like finding deals and hunting...even if it isn't for me. So helping others, rather than trying to gather or flip and make a buck, is pretty satisfying for me.

Lastly, I cook...a lot and I see Weber's as an exceptional cooking device. I don't own 25 kettles (partially because I don't have the money or room). For me a Weber BBQ is a tool like my All Clad pans or Le Cruset. It performs well and does what I need it to do.