Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: what is it for you?  (Read 2439 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
what is it for you?
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:10:50 PM »
so my friends (and wife) think my spontaneous grill collecting ( they call it an obsession) is weird, dumb , pointless. but my co worker said "I think you just like the thrill of the hunt" humm???? maybe that's part of it. but my interpretation of it is every aspect a Weber grill brings to the table.
#1 I'm not big history guy and learning about the weber lineage is, to me pretty damn interesting. sorta stumbled into it after I got the kraft I had to know why it was logoed when it was made where it came from, then I found more logos. and then this forum
#2 I'm a collector always have been always will be kind of in my blood. my dad has in the ball park of 20000 sports trading cards (not to mention both pairs of grandparents are late 70s to early 90s, soo they hold onto everything. all the colors, models, sizes....I NEED THEM ALL ( gotta catch 'em all , POKEMON!) 
#3 I can't just leave things alone, I have to tinker. add ons, body swaps, accessories, the older the better vintage commercial products , brand name or as seen on tv junk, have always caught my intrest cuz of the crazy things people would invent and sell.
#4 FOOOOOOOD who doesn't love food

so what brought you here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: what is it for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 08:12:38 PM »
P.S. I'm not a normal person, in my experience Noone is normal everyone is just a different kind of crazy.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 08:18:25 PM »
I like working on cars but here in the bay area most of my local college and techie friends don't care so much so that hobby gets lonely. Working on Webers is just as fun, a hell of a lot cheaper, and I've met some cool dudes along the way. Yummy food is also an interesting byproduct.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 08:30:08 PM »
It's simple... A weber kettle from the fifties, to today.  It looks pretty much the same. It cooks pretty much the same. I think, if you look at something like a Porsche 911, a Harley, a Weber... They are simply an iconic design. They just look friggin' cool, and they are timeless.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:54:09 PM »
I like working on cars but here in the bay area most of my local college and techie friends don't care so much so that hobby gets lonely. Working on Webers is just as fun, a hell of a lot cheaper, and I've met some cool dudes along the way. Yummy food is also an interesting byproduct.
I got lucky all my close friends work with me at lexus.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 08:56:16 PM »
@darko as much as I hate all German and or euro cars you are right with porche and weber if it ain't broke don't fix it. kinda how I feel about the taco handle.... lol

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
what is it for you?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 10:04:23 PM »
Weber kettles are beautiful and useful.  They are timeless.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 10:17:08 PM by blksabbath »

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 10:05:35 PM »

C'mon down here! We are always wrenching on VWs and Webers. I love not only the hunt, but the history behind these kettles. So many colors, options, and stories. It seems like they are more than just a method to cook food, but a device to bring families and friends together to enjoy each others company. They are a member of the family. The great food is just a bi-product.
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 10:06:45 PM »
i got here in an act of pure desperation , after several futile searches for a simple ash sweep for my first kettle (hey we didn't have luxes bbq store at the time ) i was actually told that every 22" had specific ash sweeps for every model ! hit nothing but brick walls lol . found this site got all the information i ever needed and more (mainly a serious case of weberitus ,thanks guys)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 10:18:34 PM »
Weber kettles are beautiful and useful.  They are timeless.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol I just sold my star wars collection. had about 400 peices 180 figures still in packages

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 10:55:38 PM »
   For me it's about obtaining and preserving 20th century Americana. Learning the history of your collection is a natural byproduct of collecting and I thank the WKC for being an open book for me to read from.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 11:15:58 PM »
so what brought you here?

once upon a time i had a bandera smoker and one of the original charbroil dual fuel"big easy" grills(not the side by side version you see now, but the one before that where you put a charcoal tray on the burners and had a suspended cooking grate). used the bandera a few times(most memorable was smoking a whole hog i'd shot and cleaned, it was awesome) and had some issues with it i wasn't too happy about. loaned it out to a friend who abused it and i eventually got rid of it. got rid of the "big easy" because i wanted a big four burner gasser because i thought (at the time) gas was easier to use than charcoal. so i bought a "commercial series" 4 burner charbroil gasser from lowes. used it for a few years and realized that even though i could add some smoke flavor to meats, i couldn't really use it as a smoker. i wanted to get back to having/using a smoker. at the time i thought i wanted an electric smoker because of ease of use. much internet research lead me to abandoning the electric idea and i wound up with a weber 18.5" smokey mountain cooker. i'm a forum junkie(whenever i get something new, i try to find a forum for it) and found tvwbb.com and through it found bbq-brethren.com. used the wsm and my gasser for a while until i decided i didn't want to have to stockpile propane and charcoal. since i liked using the wsm, and preferred the flavor of charcoal grilling to gas, i started looking at charcoal grills. i wanted a durable grill that was versatile and was easy to find replacement parts for. while doing my internet research for such a grill, i followed a link in a thread on one of the above websites that lead me here. i lurked for a bit while still researching and based on the wealth of information about versatility, ease of replacing parts and longevity...etc, i decided a weber kettle would check all the the boxes for what i wanted in a charcoal grill. so i joined this site and within a couple weeks, someone tipped me off to a craigslist post about an 18.5" ots budlight grill. i'd had some previous failures getting a 22.5" kettle via craigslist, but the tip on the budlight grill panned out. so i snapped it up. got a good deal on an ash catcher from a member and tips on dealing with the lid rash it had as well as installing a lid thermo and slide aside lid holder and a link to some 18.5" hinged grates and buddy(my one off budlight master touch) was born. i've been here ever since.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
My Dad cooked on Weber kettles when I was a kid. I got a u-lime SJS as a bday gift from a bud. I had and then added a food grade drum as a center section to hang ribs. This worked a bit, but I quickly found that it was only good for short cooks. Moved on to the Pit Barrel Cooker, but wanted a kettle also. Scored an AH vent code OTG on CL for 25 bucks a few years ago and found this place. I like the vibe here, like minded tinkerers respect for kettles, hunting kettles, saving them from the scrap yard. I don't have a big collection just a few, just scored a CM vent code MT, now looking to Frankenstein together an 18.5 MT and grab up a low mileage performer.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »
My dad also cooked on a weber kettle when I was a kid. When I first got into outdoor cooking, I had a weber propane go anywhere that I made a lot of good food on. My dad and older brother eventually talked me into getting a 22 inch kettle and after that I was hooked.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »
@LiquidOcelot

You forgot to mention your a tool guy. Technicians love tools and gadgets.  As for your friends and family clowning you for your new fetish..stop cooking for them. Make yourself a fat grilled steak, grilled veggies, and one of my favs grilled cornbread and eat the shit in front of everyone. Feed them canned soup. It's annoying to me when people give me crap about my grills and then praise me for the best steak they have ever eaten.

I got here because I had the whole family over for a picnic by the pool at my last apartment and the crappy poolside grills were a pain in the butt. So..the next day I bought a brick red OTP.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.