Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lump Lighting Methods  (Read 891 times)

wbenton

• Happy Cooker
Lump Lighting Methods
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:41:12 AM »
I was randomly on Royal Oak website and ran across a section with lighting instructions, http://royal-oak.com/grilling-101/grill-lighting-instructions They have a different sections with different lighting methods for each: Briquettes, Instant Light and Lump.

In the Briquette section they mention 2 methods: Pyramid w/lighter fluid) and Chimney

In the Lump section they mention 2 methods: Pyramid w/lighter fluid and Natural...but no chimney?

The natural method is to twist up some newspaper and place under the charcoal grate, put the lump on top of the grate and light the newspaper. 

Can any of you think of a reason that the Royal Oak 'Natural Method' would be better than using a chimney?

My thoughts are that maybe the chimney methods gets the lump at the bottom too hot and it burns out quicker. I don't know. I always use the chimney with my lump but am now intrigued to try the natural method.

Anyone use the natural method they describe?

charred

• WKC Performer
Re: Lump Lighting Methods
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 06:45:16 AM »
Interesting.

For me it's either a chimney, or piled in the SSP (which I guess is like "natural"), or weed burner for the WSM.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:59:45 AM »
I started just piling lump up in a pile and placing a couple lighter cubes in the pile. 10 minutes or so with the lid off then good to go. I don't use the chimney for lump for the reason you stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
I've always used the chimney & have had no issues.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 07:06:32 AM »
I use a chimney and weed burner for most everything... or pile it in the Vortex and hit it with the weed burner.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:09:41 AM »
Another thing that works really well is a Sterno can under the chimney. When I am on the road with my kettle, this is my go to.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 07:40:39 AM »
Big pieces of lump that need more time go in the bottom of the chimney. If filled with smaller pieces of lump the bottom of the chimney may light but progression up the chimney is slow. If all I have is small pieces of lump I will toss in some briquettes into the bottom of the chimney.

I hoard bags of charcoal...lump and briquettes. Having as much as I do means I do not worry about wasting a little.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"