Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Making Corned Beef ( Q&A)  (Read 1554 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Making Corned Beef ( Q&A)
« on: February 17, 2017, 08:24:04 AM »
I'm in the process of tracking down a case of Brisket flats and I plan to wet brine and then smoke them for a St Patricks Day Party at a local pub . I recently watched a cooks country episode where they discussed wet brine vs dry brine and they concluded that both were good but the wet brine was much easier as the dry brined meat needed to be turned daily to get even penetration and the wet brine required nothing additional. Because I've never made homemade Corned beef I thought I'd ask the guys here that have been there done that what their preferences are and since I'm sure I'm not the only one interested I thought a discussion thread  would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
Re: Making Corned Beef ( Q&A)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:22:41 AM »
I always use a wet brine.. to a gal of water
1-cup kosher salt
1-cup Brown sugar
1-tbs pink salt
1- jar ( 2 oz McCormicks) pickling spices

When the brine is room temp , the meat goes into my
Bucket and into the fridge for 8-10 days. ( turning every day)
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

w3ber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 03:49:48 AM »
Good idea Idahawk I would be one of those interested. I have seen the wet brine process before, never tried it myself.

Lemans I assume you cook it the same as one would cook a brisket?
Green SSP x2 DD DA / 22.5 Blk bowl, Red lid (Rescued) / Jumbo Joe / 18.5 N / / SJ100 / UDS 55 /\ Gas Weber Genesis Gold /\ Weber Fire Pit

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 07:44:30 AM »
Corned beef is to be boiled or steamed.. now if you wanted pastrami.. cracked corianda , pepper rubbed all over then into the smoker. Take that to 190
  Keep warm over steamer.  Get the rye bread and mustard!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »
Corned beef is to be boiled or steamed.. now if you wanted pastrami.. cracked corianda , pepper rubbed all over then into the smoker. Take that to 190
  Keep warm over steamer.  Get the rye bread and mustard!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

This is good info

w3ber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 07:45:44 AM »
While its not about the pickling process and since you brought up boiling I thought I would share the following. It is in my opinion a much more flavorful corned beef called braised corned beef.

Here's the link  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/231030/braised-corned-beef-brisket/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=6

“Unlike the commonly boiled corned beef, this is a slow braise that is tender, flavorful, and has a caramelized surface when it's done”.

I follow the recipe except / I use an 9 quart dutch oven with lid instead of a roasting pan.
Green SSP x2 DD DA / 22.5 Blk bowl, Red lid (Rescued) / Jumbo Joe / 18.5 N / / SJ100 / UDS 55 /\ Gas Weber Genesis Gold /\ Weber Fire Pit

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:29:17 PM »
I always use a wet brine.. to a gal of water
1-cup kosher salt
1-cup Brown sugar
1-tbs pink salt
1- jar ( 2 oz McCormicks) pickling spices

When the brine is room temp , the meat goes into my
Bucket and into the fridge for 8-10 days. ( turning every day)

Can I substitute Morton's Tender Quick for pink salt?
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962