Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: wsm vs slow and sear  (Read 5133 times)

Butch

• Happy Cooker
wsm vs slow and sear
« on: February 12, 2017, 07:23:51 AM »
Very happy with the SNS, have had some good cooks but recently I been thinking about getting a 14.5 wsm, would like some thoughts, about the two for back yard cooks for a small family of 4. Thanks

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: wsm vs slow and sear
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »
I don't have a WSM but after using my SnS I don't think I'd buy one. I can smoke and grill on the kettle. Easier to store and move around in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Don_

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:33:19 AM »
I have both the SnS in a 22 inch kettle, and a 14.5 inch WSM. I had the WSM for a couple of years before the SnS. Both set ups have their advantages, and disadvantages.

The WSM has been super stable/predictable to cook "low and slow" with. It's efficient with fuel too. I am really happy to have one around, and for long cooks it's been grate.
I don't do as well with the WSM when I try to run it at higher temperatures though...probably user malfunction.

The SnS in a kettle is pretty cool to work with, and easier for me to get at a wider range of temperatures. That flexibility leads to more attention needed to maintain a target temp for me. Again, probably user malfunction...I should really mark my vent control with a sharpie.
I've done a whole bunch of great cooking with the SnS though. From grilling to smoking it really is a great tool for a kettle.

Having both tools on hand has been a really grate time. That said, I did turn around and add a Cajun Bandit 22 inch stacker to the mix. Crazy good for the kettle as a smoker....but that's a whole different story. I still haven't had a chance to master it yet.
I have no plans to get rid of my little WSM anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 09:01:46 AM »
An Sns in a 22 vs a 14" wsm would compete in my opinion. They would probably end up close to the same capacity food wise. I would consider an 18 wsm or the ultimate do everything cooker. The 26er!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
wsm vs slow and sear
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »
I don't have a Slow n Sear, but I do have a BBQ Guru Party Q controller for both my 18.5" WSM and my 26.75" OTG. Even if I didn't though, I'd still probably BBQ a lot more with my kettle. In fact, that settles it. I need to sell the WSM since I greatly prefer to use my offset smoker for butts and briskets, anyhow. I bet I haven't used my WSM more than a couple of times in the last year. I guess the 14.5" is cute and all, but anyhow, as already posted, the kettle is just a lot more flexible. The better the lid fit and closer the vent sweepers fit to the bowl the easier it is to manage the temp.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:40:40 PM by kettlecook »

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
wsm vs slow and sear
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
An Sns in a 22 vs a 14" wsm would compete in my opinion. They would probably end up close to the same capacity food wise. I would consider an 18 wsm or the ultimate do everything cooker. The 26er!!

Don't know what I'd do without my 26er.

Butch

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:22:05 AM »
Thanks for the opinions, I do believe the sns wins at this time would appreciate other comments and thoughts. Again thanks.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 04:54:23 PM »
I'd look for an 18 wsm or 22".  14 would be fun, but you are limited by space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boosty16

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 06:56:33 AM »
My SNS in my 26er is perfect.  I rarely use my 18.5 WSM now a days.  I'm now looking to add the CyberQ to my SNS/26er for the ultimate set up!  I'm nervous to drill that 1" hole in my 26er though!
2015 Performer Deluxe, 2015 26er and a 18.5" WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 07:12:26 AM »
Save the cash for beer and run a snake. It's set and forget at least 7 hour

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 07:14:38 AM »
My SNS in my 26er is perfect.  I rarely use my 18.5 WSM now a days.  I'm now looking to add the CyberQ to my SNS/26er for the ultimate set up!  I'm nervous to drill that 1" hole in my 26er though!

Same with me!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »

You could use the top vent as well, but I cut a hole in my 26er for the PartyQ. Works really good with lump, which is what I prefer when smoking low and slow. Wife just gave me a top deck grate yesterday, so hopefully I'll get to see how four flat slabs of st Louie's will cook in it next week.