Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Oops....Got Peels?  (Read 3878 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Oops....Got Peels?
« on: February 08, 2017, 11:11:55 AM »
I order a pizza rack, and some more peels last week.  I already had three but wanted 3 more and a rack so I can make 6 pizzas and have then ready to fire off one after another. 

I didn't pay attention to the dimensions of the pizza rack so I was really surprised by the size of the box that showed up today.  The rack is a bit bigger than I thought it was going to be.  Then I was even more surprised to see 6 peels in the box, not 3.  Sure enough I ordered 6 instead of 3.  Oh well, they will all get used.

Web restaurant store has really good prices on this stuff by the way!

Now I need to find a place to put this rack so Regan doesn't see it until it gets used for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Oops....Got Peels?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed OOPS thats all you got that will be impressive looking when you are ready to make a run of load of pies will need pics of the setup when you do
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

VAis4BBQers

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 01:52:58 PM »
That's awesome. Will be looking into getting some more peels myself.

Crate n Barrel Grass Green - Target Copper - Blue OTG - 14 & 18 WSM

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 02:44:19 PM »
@mikerocksthered , I love Webstaurant,  I order from there all the time where I work, that's where I also got the tubs and lids to use with my Sous vide...

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 06:49:12 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed what's shipping like from these guys?
Still need a 22” yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Oops....Got Peels?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:07:31 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed what's shipping like from these guys?

Not too bad.  Especially considering the pizza rack is one solid piece so it was a very large package. 

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:09:42 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 12:21:33 PM »
Nice! How are you using the pizza screens?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 12:24:09 PM »
Nice! How are you using the pizza screens?

I haven't used them yet!  I saw a suggestion of making the pizzas on the screens.  then put the pizza in the grill on the screens and you can remove the screens after a minute or so.  When making 6-9 pizzas and having them sit for a little bit using the screens helps prevent any of the pizzas from sitting to long and getting stuck on the peels.  My first cook with 6 pizzas made and on standby I didn't have any problems with them sticking to the wood peels, so time will tell to see if I actually use the screens or not.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »
Screens are perfect for conveyor ovens....that's probably their intended use.  But the do work well in a standard oven.  I use parchment paper as a safety net for multiple pie sessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 08:47:58 PM »
I used screens on my first cook and they worked very well.     I formed the doughs, then moved them to the screens.   Slather on the sauce and the toppings and you are set.  Slide the whole thing onto the pizza stone and just let it cook.   The screen makes it much easier to rotate the pies.   Don't even need a peel, just use hooks to grab the edge of the screen.    When the pizza is ready, slide the peel under the screen, pull the pizza out then slide it off the screen onto your cutting surface.

Mike, that setuup is awesome!  I can't believe that it was so inexpensive. 

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »
Thanks for all the info on the screens! I will have to get a few and give them a try now.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 01:04:54 PM »

I have been using the screens since my very first time trying out the KP.  I am very glad I have them.  Use them every time.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/kettlepizza-first-time-firing-it-up/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 02:49:47 PM »

I have been using the screens since my very first time trying out the KP.  I am very glad I have them.  Use them every time.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/kettlepizza-first-time-firing-it-up/

Are you still using the firebricks above the stone? I might have to give that a try.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 04:20:48 PM »

Are you still using the firebricks above the stone? I might have to give that a try.

@Uncle Al , yes, however, I have refined my technique some since the initial trials.

I cut a piece of 16 gauge aluminum sheet to fit on the top part.  Firebricks on top of that.

Also, for the charcoal area, I fabricated a KP-only grate.
Lately, I fire up a full-sized Weber chimney of Kingsford briquets, and add about 4-6 chunks of hardwood.  In my case, it's usually sugar maple.

For the open area, I no longer do the above ^^^^ .   
I now put about a dozen or so lit briquets to help heat-up the stone.  Learned this from
@MrHoss .
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 07:01:57 PM »

@Uncle Al , yes, however, I have refined my technique some since the initial trials.

I cut a piece of 16 gauge aluminum sheet to fit on the top part.  Firebricks on top of that.

Also, for the charcoal area, I fabricated a KP-only grate.
Lately, I fire up a full-sized Weber chimney of Kingsford briquets, and add about 4-6 chunks of hardwood.  In my case, it's usually sugar maple.

For the open area, I no longer do the above ^^^^ .   
I now put about a dozen or so lit briquets to help heat-up the stone.  Learned this from
@MrHoss .

@MacEggs  How does the aluminum plate/fire bricks perform compared to the old way you had with a upper grate with fewer bricks?