Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Adding an extra Thermometer  (Read 5165 times)

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Adding an extra Thermometer
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 05:13:36 AM »
 There's always the Swiss cheese approach!  I think it was @swamprb  that posted a pic once of a kettle lid with about 20 thermometers mounted to it! ;D

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 06:32:55 AM »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 07:37:26 AM »
Drilling through a Kettle lid is asking for trouble (plus unless you are HFG it looks crappy)......wires are a pain in the arse......and most of us have multiple Kettles. Oh no.....what to do?

Get one flipping thermo to rule them all! The one spot in your cooking environment that should have a steady reliable temp to go by is right at the lid vent.

So get a thermometer to pop into a vent hole. Using a grate thermometer..on a wire or not....measure the temp at grate. Now compare it to the temp at your vent. There will be a difference....remember that difference. Now all you need to do is use your thermometer at the vent and reduce that number by what you were supposed to remember. Easy peasy Lousiey.

If you have multiple Kettles going at the same time that single thermometer can be moved.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:39:07 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 08:08:27 AM »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 08:13:06 AM »

That's the one! Sorry HFG, I had the wrong member in mind.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 08:18:53 AM »

Drilling through a Kettle lid is asking for trouble (plus unless you are HFG it looks crappy)......wires are a pain in the arse......and most of us have multiple Kettles. Oh no.....what to do?

Get one flipping thermo to rule them all! The one spot in your cooking environment that should have a steady reliable temp to go by is right at the lid vent.

So get a thermometer to pop into a vent hole. Using a grate thermometer..on a wire or not....measure the temp at grate. Now compare it to the temp at your vent. There will be a difference....remember that difference. Now all you need to do is use your thermometer at the vent and reduce that number by what you were supposed to remember. Easy peasy Lousiey.

If you have multiple Kettles going at the same time that single thermometer can be moved.

I like that method on an old kettle that I won't drill but I don't hesitate to drill a modern ots. It's super easy and looks perfect if you buy a bezel. I did buy a set of three step bits. The good step bits are $40 but you can find less expensive ones for $12 that are plenty up to the task.  Step bits aren't necessary either if you have a decent drill bit set.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Adding an extra Thermometer
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »
I also wouldn't hesitate to drill a wsm.
I installed this one and it was easy and perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 08:37:48 AM »
I used an oven therm for a while. Just place it somewhere on the grill grate where you can see it thru the top vent and use a flashlight.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Ryan101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »

Ryan101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »
Was thinking something like that drilled into the lid

Ryan101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »
I used an oven therm for a while. Just place it somewhere on the grill grate where you can see it thru the top vent and use a flashlight.
i like this idea, nice and simple

Ryan101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
My WSM and Performer both have lid temps which for me is great to give me a basic warming up temp.
I am no expert but I do own a Mav 732 with 2 probes one for grate one for meat internal temp.
This is my favorite for long cooks butts, Turkey. 
But I do use the dome for and during faster cooks chicken thighs, breasts, the lid shows me the temp rise and giving me a idea of where to grate is I.E. 50 degress lower for example.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »

You have to be able to monitor the kettle micro climates.

Whit

Ryan101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 08:50:52 PM »
My WSM and Performer both have lid temps which for me is great to give me a basic warming up temp.
I am no expert but I do own a Mav 732 with 2 probes one for grate one for meat internal temp.
This is my favorite for long cooks butts, Turkey. 
But I do use the dome for and during faster cooks chicken thighs, breasts, the lid shows me the temp rise and giving me a idea of where to grate is I.E. 50 degress lower for example.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Great thanks! Im looking at the maverick HD-377
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:59:50 PM by Ryan101 »