Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Kettle 22" Cast Iron Cooking Grate  (Read 6823 times)

jrob0144

• Smokey Joe
Weber Kettle 22" Cast Iron Cooking Grate
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »
Hey everyone! Does anyone on here have any experience with this cast iron grate? It seems fairly new on amazon. It looks awesome! I'm curious if this grate is built well. I've tried doing research on it but it seems there aren't any reviews out there yet. Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Grill-Grate-Kettle-Grills/dp/B01MXILON2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484764200&sr=8-1&keywords=aura+kettle+grate
Jesse Robinson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Weber Kettle 22" Cast Iron Cooking Grate
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:55:29 AM »
I think my biggest concern would be how hard it is to clean since it has so many small corners.  Another concern would be what marks it leaves if you for instance seared something, flipped it, then needed to flip it back over.  I think both of these concerns are exactly why you see most CI grates with straight parallel grates and not a grid like this one has.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »
I noticed this grate earlier this week, also. Not a bad price. I believe it's about the same cost as the STOK CI grate. The diamond pattern is the same as the Weber GBS sear grate; looks to be the same size pattern, too.

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 05:42:30 PM »
I'd give her a go. Only thing I see is it needs a grate lifter of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »
I'm with Mike, seems like it would be hard to clean

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

trident_of_rivers

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 07:10:22 PM »
This is the cast iron grate I purchased form Amazon in late 2014. Sill holding up great and easy to clean. Also the center pops out to add extra charcoal if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/SIS9000-Grill-Replacement-2-Inch-Grate/dp/B007ZLIZU4

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 03:09:13 AM »
I love cast iron, but here in the Pacific Northwet, it is a major PITA to keep seasoned and keep from rusting. The least amount of condensation just wreaks havoc on my CI grates if left in the grill.

I have a few of these 22" expanded metal grates for my drum smokers, but I'll occasionally pull one out for a good direct kettle cook. These will outlast my drums!

http://udsparts.com/grates/22-inch-diameter-uds-drum-smoker-cooking-grate.html

Made in the USA!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 07:10:19 AM »
This is the cast iron grate I purchased form Amazon in late 2014. Sill holding up great and easy to clean. Also the center pops out to add extra charcoal if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/SIS9000-Grill-Replacement-2-Inch-Grate/dp/B007ZLIZU4

26% off today on amazon....$44.71  I like the removable center!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jrob0144

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 03:49:12 AM »
Long over due update. I ended up going with the Stok cast iron grate for my kettle and couldn't be happier. It's heavy duty and super easy to clean. For maintenance I just burn off any remaining food after my cook and wipe it down with a little cooking oil and she's good to go for next time. I would definitely recommend. Any questions about it just let me know!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Jesse Robinson

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
I have the SToK CI grate, and bought their CI Dutch Oven as well. Grate combo!

Not sure about the design of that diamond pattern... as was mentioned earlier, might be a bitch to clean, plus lifting it won't be easy.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Nolamike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 10:33:22 AM »
...might be a bitch to clean, plus lifting it won't be easy.

I recently joined a Weber Facebook group, and one of the members was asking about whether anybody made a cast iron chimney starter!  I can't imagine how bad it would be trying to lift such a thing, especially while hot...

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 03:39:18 PM »
Just a heads up -

I signed up for Aura's e-mail and got a swinging sweet Valentines Day deal on their Pro Zone 18" Cooking System for my Large Big Green Eggs 20% off list price and free shipping ($79) I should have gotten 2 of them!

https://auraoutdoorproducts.com/collections/grilling-stuff/products/the-m-z-multi-zone-cooking-kit

My local ACE had a bunch of close outs and I got a WSM 22" Hanging meat rack and a pair of Kamado Joe Half Moon SS grates for $9.99 each. So I had been looking for some kind of rack system for the Egg-Kamado Joe and the price of the Aura was awesome with all the accessories.

The 22" CI grates aren't listed on their page, but I can vouch for the quality of the Pro Zone System SS grates. Ceramic inserts and SS rack and expander.

They had fast shipping and confirmations every step of the way.  Never hurts to get on their list.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!