Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone seen the new Genesis II up close yet ?  (Read 5820 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Anyone seen the new Genesis II up close yet ?
« on: January 17, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »
These burner tubes look impressive .
@604 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Anyone seen the new Genesis II up close yet ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 05:19:43 PM »
I saw one at the Weber outlet store in Palatine. It wasn't hooked up and working but the cook box was nice. The rest of the grill, frame etc, seemed cheaper than the previous models. I'm not a gasser fan so I didn't take a super long look at it.
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »
I looked at one recently. What Scott said was my same take on it. Those tubes are pretty impressive though. I have the previous generation genesis and am very happy with it and since getting into this kettle thing, I hardly use it. It should last me a very long time. So I won't be picking one up.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 05:47:57 AM »
I looked at the entire line at ACE the other day,  I am not happy with the cheapening out of the product line.  The drop down side tables seem unnecessary, the shroud to cover the gas tank will fall off in a high wind.  If I were looking for a long term gasser I would be buying now.  I wonder if Napolean will be the gasser of choice in 5 years, I don't know where they are made but those are really nice grills.  Broil King is another good option, if I were a gasser guy.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 06:00:40 AM »
My mom has a Broil King and you can't run her grill more than 1/4 open. On medium it's really hot and will burn the food. Not sure if it's a regulator issue or that's just how they are. I'll stick with kettles. If I ever did want to get into gas I might try a Weber Q someday.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
@Idahawk

We've been closely inspecting them for about a week or so now and just had product training on the new models yesterday. Overall I feel its a better grill than the previous generation and they have definitely taken steps to improve on some weak points that needed to be addressed. That being said there are a few changes that some people will like and others will not...

Key positive points:

1) Burners! These are the real deal. REALLY nice flame pattern and they are a heavier gauge stainless than previous tube style burners. LX models also have the ability to run a "High+" heat setting that gives 20% more heat across the entire grill. This replaces the somewhat gimmicky "sear station" with a much more practical system. Here's a pic I snagged from google but this is exactly what it looks like in person:

Another nice bonus is that you no longer need any tools to change a burner out. They simply pop out of the holding slot and the new ignitor can snap straight off rather than having to slide it sideways like previous models.

2) The electrode itself is significantly improved and is now completely sealed to better protect against water infiltration. The ceramic casing feels much more durable and is now smoothly polished compared to the more porous feeling of the older model. The ignition module has also been redesigned with a couple smart improvements - 1) it is now also fully sealed, and 2) the battery compartment is angled downwards so that if moisture does creep inside it will drain away from the important connection points. This was a common issue on older models so its nice to see an effort to fix that. Finally, all electrode wiring is now Silicon coated for better performance against weather and heat. 

3) Warming rack. Although it takes a try or two to figure out the operation I really like the fold away warming rack. It's also "elevations" compatible so many existing accessories will work with it easily.

4) Frame Stability/Maneuverability : I'm surprised a few people have mentioned that the cart feels flimsy. In reality it now has welded lower connection points and seems more solid than before in my opinion. The larger wheels on the one side also make it easier to move around. Rubber treads are nice touch too...

5) Lighted control knobs on LX models. These should have been included in the Genesis line a LONG time ago. Better late than never 8)

6) iGrill 3 Compatibility: In addition to temp probes - on LX models you can see the tank propane level and turn on and off the control knob lights. Kinda cool.

7) Less body seams on the front face: Previous models would collect crud and grime easily in the gaps between components. With the new beveled front lip I think it really cleans up the look and will be easier to clean and maintain.

Potential Concerns:

1) The propane bottle shield is a bit awkward for sure. Doesn't make much sense to me that it doesn't cover the entire tank. They should have gone all or nothing here IMO.

2) Fold down tables are a nice feature for many, but the rotisserie mount must be removed to drop the side table down. Not a huge deal if you only use it once in awhile but not overly convenient either. The table once folded down is also still fairly wide so in reality you only are saving 6 or 8" in width. Again, not bad but not great either. You also cannot lift the grill using the side table, they say to collapse the table and use holding points on the frame and/or cookbox.

3) Plastic end caps on tables. Although they seem very sturdy and durable some folks including myself will miss the steel/cast versions.

4) Too many models? I suspect they are eventually going to phase out the Spirit line but who knows... in the meantime there are a LOT of different Weber grill configurations available and therefor customers can get exactly what they want feature-wise. It will be interesting to see which models become the "favorites" of the bunch. We're all stocked up for spring!

Final note:

The best advice I can give is to check them out in-person at the store. After reading all the internet rumors etc I had more or less made up my mind before even seeing the grill in person. But after actually seeing it with my own two eyes and inspecting it for a few days its definitely growing on me more and more each day. I'd be happy to rock one on the back patio if it wasn't already filled with kettles 8)

@LightningBoldtz - You're right, Napoleon makes a VERY nice grill as well. My father recently upgraded his gasser at home and went with a Prestige model and loves it. The side ceramic sear station burner option is just amazing for steaks. Both Napoleon Grills and Broil King are based here in Canada.

@kettlebb - Broil King grills use a very shallow cookbox and run notoriously hot... could also be a regulator issue as you mentioned. Hardcore steak guys love them 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

baltimorecaesar

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 09:24:40 AM »
I just got a Genesis II SE-410 this past Sunday and will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
Checked out the latest at my weber dealer, seem like they are really put  together nice,burners look great!!..Also have a nopoleon dealer right in my backyard,no way i would pay that much for their bbq's..

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »
A local dealer here in the Baltimore area (Watson's Fireplace & Patio) has the full line up. I stopped in when they were assembling a dozen or so this weekend. Across the board - from two-burners to six - I have to say I was pleasantly impressed. They seem to share the vibe of the summit line (will they be next for an upgrade?) and it's a big step in the right direction. I won't comment on pricing other than to say it's an investment no different than a flat screen or kitchen range. Good for Weber to push for quality and innovation.
Retired

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »
A local dealer here in the Baltimore area (Watson's Fireplace & Patio) has the full line up. I stopped in when they were assembling a dozen or so this weekend. Across the board - from two-burners to six - I have to say I was pleasantly impressed. They seem to share the vibe of the summit line (will they be next for an upgrade?) and it's a big step in the right direction. I won't comment on pricing other than to say it's an investment no different than a flat screen or kitchen range. Good for Weber to push for quality and innovation.

Is there anything that you didn't like about them?
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »
It's intriguing to see such variations in opinions. :)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 06:52:03 AM »

Is there anything that you didn't like about them?

Marty, I wanted to clarify, I am not being a smart arse with my question.  Your review was very glowing and I have seen theses up close and I am less than happy.  I do like some features like the burners, but I think they fall short in many other areas over the previous build.

With that, do you have any comments on what you think Weber could improve upon or do you feel this new model is light years about the previous one?  Your input is appreciated.

Thanks

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 07:13:40 AM »
Hmmm, OK. Unless I had one to use I'm hard pressed to find fault. My impressions are limited to Point of Sale. Admittedly, I did not get a chance to give it a thorough look, (I would love to assemble one) but I do think it's an upgrade over the previous generation. I played with everything I could play with, and it seemed solid enough. They did not have tanks installed, so I suppose that might be something I would question - the side panels may be a little flappy in reality, but that's a guess. (FYI - they have flappy side panels on my Summit Grill Center too that I'm thinking of redesigning.) personally, I still love the Gen 1 Genesis grills because they work and look classic, but even they had an Achilles heel or two. Bottom line is the new model checks off most of the boxes I'd be looking for if I were in the market. I might try to give it a closer look when I have time, or better yet pick one up as soon as they start showing up on CL in the coming months.
Retired

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 07:31:25 AM »
Hmmm, OK. Unless I had one to use I'm hard pressed to find fault. My impressions are limited to Point of Sale. Admittedly, I did not get a chance to give it a thorough look, (I would love to assemble one) but I do think it's an upgrade over the previous generation. I played with everything I could play with, and it seemed solid enough. They did not have tanks installed, so I suppose that might be something I would question - the side panels may be a little flappy in reality, but that's a guess. (FYI - they have flappy side panels on my Summit Grill Center too that I'm thinking of redesigning.) personally, I still love the Gen 1 Genesis grills because they work and look classic, but even they had an Achilles heel or two. Bottom line is the new model checks off most of the boxes I'd be looking for if I were in the market. I might try to give it a closer look when I have time, or better yet pick one up as soon as they start showing up on CL in the coming months.

Excellent, thanks

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 08:14:33 AM »
I should also mention that the side burner pales in comparison to my Summit. Hard to beat the large two-ring brass burner with the CI grate. I know, I'm spoiled...

It only came on the Summit Center - not the 400/600 series Summits. I also wonder why they did not include the Gourmet Grate on the SS version of the new Genesis. Seems that would be useful. (Unless I missed that.)
Retired