Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: KillaGrilla Heavy Duty 304 SS Flip Up Grates  (Read 9797 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: KillaGrilla Heavy Duty 304 SS Flip Up Grates
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 09:48:58 AM »

@ffej- First off Welcome to the Forum.  I spoke with the owner (Mark) directly and he was shipping it to me on the 18th when I ordered it. I expect it to arrive any day now.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ffej

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »
Thank you.

Just checked, my tracking number was created on the 18th. The package was just accepted this morning at the post office. Current expected delivery date is 28th.

Not complaining or anything, especially with something hand made and this kind of quality, just can't wait to check it out.

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 05:22:56 AM »
Does he offer a 26" version?  The 26" I have has the nickle plated grate.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 05:46:27 AM »

Looking at the product line at http://killagrilla.com/, it only shows standard and flip up grates for 22.5" only. No 18" or 26".

Cellar2ful

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »

Good news - Just received an email response from Mark, the owner of KillaGrilla. 

Quote - "We plan on making more sizes for Weber and Green Egg , just need to get fixtures made".

My grate should arrive tomorrow according to Fed Ex tracking.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
KillaGrilla Heavy Duty 304 SS Flip Up Grates
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 12:04:11 PM »
@Cellar2ful if you ever have more contacts with the owner, an older model 26" would be nice. Not sure if the market would call for it, but I would definitely buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ffej

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »
If one was offered for my Go-Anywhere I would jump all over that. Would go well with my stainless flavorizer bar from rcplanebuyer.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:36:33 PM by ffej »

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 05:33:40 AM »
If one was offered for my Go-Anywhere I would jump all over that. Would go well with my stainless flavorizer bar from rcplanebuyer.

So RCplane buyer built them for you GA?  I would like to see pics of that.  Cost if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks,

Robert

ffej

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 05:46:58 AM »

So RCplane buyer built them for you GA?  I would like to see pics of that.  Cost if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks,

Robert

He has them on his ebay store, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Anywhere-Grill-WGA-flavorizer-heat-plate-after-market-18-ga-ss-/131092399587. $30 plus shipping.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »
My KillaGrilla arrived today.Wow. I am impressed. These things are really thick.  I love the look. IMHO, well worth the investment. Tonight I will be using it but only to set my Griswold Dutch Oven on.  Once I do a few different cooks on it, I will review its performance. As promised, here are some comparative pictures. 

In the pictures are a Weber SS grate, the KillaGrilla SS grate and the insert from a Weber GBS grate.

On the left is the KillaGrilla grate, center is the GBS insert and on the right is the Weber SS grate

Close up you can really see the diameter difference. This is the KillaGrilla grate vs a GBS insert.

As I figured,  fewer rods on the KillaGrilla grate cooking surface due to the extra thickness of the rods. Weber SS grate - 22 rods between flip ups, KillaGrilla grate -17 rods between flip ups

This is the Weber SS grate on the ol' redhead

And the KillaGrilla. 

ORourke

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 03:03:19 PM »
I got this one when my chrome plated one got rusty, only $25 too-

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/grills-outdoor-cooking/grilling-tools/stainless-steel-cooking-grids-compatible-with-22-5-weber-reg-one-touch-reg/p-1444450219572-c-1461078035988.htm?tid=3545402075366388972

Have to do a site to store and go pick it up but it's worth it IMO. My vortex was destroying the chrome plating on standard grates this thing has held up great.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 10:58:05 AM »
Just so this in person @Cellar2ful  's house. I want one.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
That's some serious metal. Keep us posted.

ffej

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »
Looks like my shipment won't arrive today, oh well.

@Cellar2ful if you ever have more contacts with the owner, an older model 26" would be nice. Not sure if the market would call for it, but I would definitely buy one.

Try contacting him via his website. I emailed him and it seems like he is open to custom orders. He did ask me what I was thinking for a price, so he might be filtering out people not willing to pay fair price.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »

So I bought some Wagu rib eye steaks, trying to make up for the haggis disaster. Usually I would have cooked them on my dedicated searing kettle with the GBS grate and CI searing insert. Figured this would be a great opportunity to break in and see how the new KillaGrilla grate performs.  Wow.  Let me emphasize that better.   Holy Shit!

Mind you, these grill marks are from a SS rod grate, not CI.

What is most impressive is the inside of the meat.  It almost looked like a reverse sear. Very little intrusion of the sear past the outer crust. That could have been from my first time use of Kingsford Competition High Heat Briquettes.   

I apologize for not getting a photo of the steaks on the grill but I was on my third glass of wine.  I was lucky to get this picture of the meat cut open, halfway through my meal.

For me, this grate is worth every bit of the $75 price. Yes, there are other 304 SS grates for less money, but non have the look of these KillaGrilla grates, nor can you get sear marks like this from a standard SS grate. Long time WKC member @argentflame stopped by my house today and he was so impressed he is going to order one.  Not for everyone but there is no other product out there like this right now. 

@ffej- I don't think you will be disappointed. This grate is awesome.