Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: TIP TOP TEMP ON WSM  (Read 4596 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
TIP TOP TEMP ON WSM
« on: December 29, 2016, 06:37:08 AM »
Anyone have any experience using the tip top temp on a 22" WSM?

Can you maintain 275 with it or is it only for 225?

Any set up advice?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: TIP TOP TEMP ON WSM
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 07:12:38 AM »
Take my opinion lightly because I've only used it once. The ttt has a dial that you can set for different temps. It has a bi metal spring that only moves so much so the dial sets the damper at a starting point so to speak for a certain temp range.

I found that you need to be pretty close to setting up your cooker for your desired temperature, then the ttt will assist in maintaining that temperature as your fuel burns.

Ttt isn't my thing but I can appreciate the allure.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 07:13:45 AM »
The short answer is yes. You can set it up for different temps but your cooker also needs to dialed in close in the first place.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 07:18:52 AM »
I saw a few people on the kettle Facebook group raving about it.

For 30 bucks it might be worth a shot.

I feel like my pit master IQ 110 does an ok Job of maintaining the temperature it's at when I set it, but it's a slight pain in the butt to set up and often needs to be reset if I take off the lid to test food

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »
I have an older wsm and I let my temps get too high while using the ttt. It does not shut all the way when trying to choke fire which is a good thing but will choke down to where it is just cracked to try and bring temp down. It effected the flavor negatively in this case. So that's why I said you need to be set up very close to your temp range

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
TIP TOP TEMP ON WSM
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 07:26:38 AM »
I can't judge only using once but I'm not thrilled with a top vent control. However, many use and really like this product so it was user error I'm sure.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 08:15:17 AM »
I also have an older 18" WSM. I have a hard time getting under 350°, without the TTT. With it, I can dial in pretty well anything I want. I don't shut down the bottom vents, while I'm using it.
Still need a 22” yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
TIP TOP TEMP ON WSM
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »
I also have an older 18" WSM. I have a hard time getting under 350°, without the TTT. With it, I can dial in pretty well anything I want. I don't shut down the bottom vents, while I'm using it.

I need to give both the wsm and the ttt another try.  I have very limited experience with both. I always gravitate back to kettle magic.

I do have a lid therm and bezel coming that I think I'm going to install on the wsm.  I'm not thrilled about drilling it but will be a stock clean install. Hopefully

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 09:21:23 AM »

I need to give both the wsm and the ttt another try.  I have very limited experience with both. I always gravitate back to kettle magic.

I do have a lid therm and bezel coming that I think I'm going to install on the wsm.  I'm not thrilled about drilling it but will be a stock clean install. Hopefully

I use a Maverick 732. Don't trust dome therms.
Still need a 22” yellow

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »
Ok.  So I thought the ttt was BS. But I have used it several time
And it works.. as long as you start with a small fire and the bottom vent is wide open
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!