Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Blood sausage  (Read 2569 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Blood sausage
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
Not common here in the states. I actually heard of it this summer from a y/t channel that focuses on English recipes. I would like to try some or even make it if possible. I'm reaching out to anyone who might have a homemade recipe for it. If you haven't heard of it, check it out on YouTube.
Have a good one fella's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Blood sausage
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 08:56:51 AM »

@Travis

http://www.tastingpoland.com/food/charcuterie_sausages.html

and.....

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/

....the be all-end all of sausage making as far as I can tell.....

if you use curing salts, be careful & EXACT in the measurements, for safety reasons.... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »
The Mariansky's web site and books are outstanding, and my top pick, for sausage related information. Len Poli's web site is an excellent resource for all sausages too.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
Thanks for the links @1buckie @Hell Fire Grill

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »
My Mom used to make it all the time. What we've found is that it's difficult to get pig's blood in recent times.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 03:05:59 PM »
My Mom used to make it all the time. What we've found is that it's difficult to get pig's blood in recent times.
Why is that?

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 03:24:06 PM »
I'm not sure. There used to be a few grocery stores where she could buy it, but now...?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:52:20 PM by Darko »

sinisterdonut

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 04:41:02 PM »
We make red boudin in South La.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 07:21:38 AM »
Why is that?

Blood is the quickest deteriorating part of any body and can carry pathogens & parasites.

Im not a Dr. but I think a Dr. and the USDA would agree with that statement in general.

IMO the recommendations from the USDA are overstated and serve more to control people & make money than to ensure health. The food industry owns the USDA, not the people (in the same way the insurance industry owns your health), and the food industry wants you to think you cant make your own food. The price we pay is lost history and traditional self sufficiency because grandma's cook book gets pushed further back into the drawer, generation after generation, and eventually into the trash.

Ill stop there because this is a grill forum not a soap opera.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 09:43:24 AM »
My Dad's parents were from Scotland. They ate that stuff all the time. I tried it as a wee lad, and never tried it again. Definitely an "acquired" taste...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

sgf

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 09:45:06 AM »
I was raised in a city with a heavy Portuguese population. I believe their blood sausage was called Morcela. You can order it online. I always preferred chourico or linguica to it. They are Portuguese pork sausages. You can also order them online. If I was putting in my order for my last meal Portuguese chourico would be on the menu. It should not be confused with the Mexican chorizo, which is very different.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 03:07:54 PM »

@Travis- There is a butcher shop near me in Berkeley, California that makes blood sausage.  They believe in using every bit of an animal they butcher.  I have not had the courage to try the blood sausage but all their other sausage is house made and out of this world.  They make seasonal sausage like Fig & Sage / Fennel / Beer & Sour Cherry. I make a trip once a month to load up. Maybe they will ship to you on dry ice.

The place is amazing.  They supply the meats to most of the high end restaurants around the area including Chez Panisse. Here's a link to their website.

http://thelocalbutchershop.com/

You have peaked my interest now.  I will have to try one next time they have it.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »
@Cellar2ful There is a "sausage maker" here in Herman, Mo. It's a small river town with a bunch of wineries, b&b's and small local shops. They do the same thing as you mention about using all parts of the animal and do it all in house. I've saw the blood sausage there last year when my bride and I did an overnight stay. Same as you. Couldn't pull the trigger. When we go back this February, I'm going to pick some up to try.
Here's their link.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVyXLelhY7yQAKT5x.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1482222412/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.hermannwursthaus.com%2f/RK=0/RS=xUGLR3IfnAKbFNdCO1grSfdKt7E-

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Blood sausage
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 03:41:05 PM »
@Cellar2ful If you ever make it out this way, Hermann would be a great overnight stay. Let me know if you do. I'll buy the first bottle.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:42:44 PM by Travis »

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »
@Travis

I love blood sausage!!!! Check and see if you have any Irish shops near you. We call it blood pudding, or black pudding. By me they sell it in most Irish 🍀 shops ;D. The brand I get is "Winstons Sausage" and they ship! https://www.winstonsmarket.net/wsausage/ordering.php

Good luck
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:17:17 PM by Shoestringshop »
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!