Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cheap & Simple Door props for Hot 'n Fast WSM cooks  (Read 1605 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Cheap & Simple Door props for Hot 'n Fast WSM cooks
« on: December 13, 2016, 05:08:23 AM »
When I used to cook on 18" WSM's I did the door prop mod and drilled into the doors and installed 1.5" bolts and inverted the door and those little bullets were 350* rockets.

The 22's are another story. The Gen1 is an easy candidate for the door prop mod, but the Gen2 has the arched door opening in the center which makes it impossible to invert the door. And the fact that the stainless steel Cajun Bandit doors are a pita to drill. I used this simple door prop to get the 22's up to temp fast and when I wanted to go nuclear it worked great.

Harbor Freight ground magnets with a length of hanger wire that I could bend to any shape.

Just a PSA.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cheap & Simple Door props for Hot 'n Fast WSM cooks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 03:13:40 AM »
That's a great idea @swamprb.

I have the older style door latches and use the big black binder clips with the door upside down to keep the door propped open when trying to get a little extra heat.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Cheap & Simple Door props for Hot 'n Fast WSM cooks
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:41:22 AM »
Great idea, Swamprb
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791