Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Upside down door  (Read 3176 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Upside down door
« on: December 12, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »
Anyone done this mod?  I saw it on virtual bullet and was thinking of trying it. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Upside down door
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 03:26:44 AM »
When I was cooking on 18" WSM's, I did the "door prop mod" for Hot 'n Fast cooks and sometimes had the door upside down. I had the old style bullets. The newer ones have a POS door handle that IMO will fail much faster that close to the heat source.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:24:30 AM »

When I was cooking on 18" WSM's, I did the "door prop mod" for Hot 'n Fast cooks and sometimes had the door upside down. I had the old style bullets. The newer ones have a POS door handle that IMO will fail much faster that close to the heat source.

Thanks swamp. I've got the older style door and was thinking about the mod to help with air control. Seemed like it would prevent air escaping as easily. I didn't think about being closer to the heat. That's a good point. I will work on shaping the door better and leaving it upright.

While we are talking wsm, my lid vent is very loose. I thought about drilling the river and installing a nut and bolt?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:43:49 AM »

Thanks swamp. I've got the older style door and was thinking about the mod to help with air control. Seemed like it would prevent air escaping as easily. I didn't think about being closer to the heat. That's a good point. I will work on shaping the door better and leaving it upright.

While we are talking wsm, my lid vent is very loose. I thought about drilling the river and installing a nut and bolt?

If the vent is loose, drill from the inside, and place the head of the rivet on a piece of rubber to grip it. Drill slow.

I used to drill through the rivet and install the Weber stem thermos at the vent.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:13:17 AM »
Definitely doing that. I did a quick search but not sure what therm. Where to get?

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 05:54:21 PM »
I love the shelf...  How is it mounted?  Thanks

Sent from my LG-V410 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 12:01:53 PM »
Definitely doing that. I did a quick search but not sure what therm. Where to get?

@HoosierKettle

Either from Weber or Tei-Tru for the older 1000-Genesis Silver/Gold gas grills.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 12:17:18 PM »

@jeffrackmo

The front shelf is IPE decking and is mounted with L brackets attached to the frame.

The one on the right side is the Performer door to the charcoal bin. The door has a rod for the hinge, I reversed the door and mounted folding shelf brackets to it and the Performer frame.

It was featured on the TVWBB Homepage RE Table Mods back in the day.

I liked this cart for the 18's, it was just the right height and easy to R&R the sections, and it rolled easily under cover when the weather got nasty.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 08:06:42 AM »

@jeffrackmo

The front shelf is IPE decking and is mounted with L brackets attached to the frame.

The one on the right side is the Performer door to the charcoal bin. The door has a rod for the hinge, I reversed the door and mounted folding shelf brackets to it and the Performer frame.

It was featured on the TVWBB Homepage RE Table Mods back in the day.

I liked this cart for the 18's, it was just the right height and easy to R&R the sections, and it rolled easily under cover when the weather got nasty.
That is one sweet setup!  :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.