Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Using the Snake Method for Turkey  (Read 7151 times)

doc adams

• Happy Cooker
Using the Snake Method for Turkey
« on: November 10, 2016, 07:54:39 AM »
I recently used the Snake Method for a Boston Butt and it worked like a charm.  225-250 degrees for 10 hours...easy!  I was wondering if you can get the temp up to 350 (recommended for turkey) using the Snake Method?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Using the Snake Method for Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:21:22 AM »
I've just started dabbling with the snake method and I'm hooked. I'm going to help a friend with his turkey using the snake method. He wants low and slow and I'm trying to talk him into a hotter cook.

I don't see why you couldn't reach higher temps with a fatter snake but that could take up a little more indirect cooking area.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 09:17:30 AM »
Maybe buy a chicken and give it a practice round. Sounds like it would work in theory. More fuel=higher temp. What would you be cooking on? 22? 26?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doc adams

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 09:19:28 AM »
22 inch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 09:35:04 AM »

Maybe buy a chicken and give it a practice round. Sounds like it would work in theory. More fuel=higher temp. What would you be cooking on? 22? 26?

Great idea. It's fun to practice and you have to eat anyway.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 09:48:20 AM »
I haven't done the snake method but I would probably use a basket to of fuel banked to one side. I'm planning on using Stubbs and cooking between 350-375. Maybe one small chunk of peach wood but not much. I'd be curious how the snake is with the chicken. I like me some crispy skin.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 09:52:39 AM »
I have to almost shut down bottom vents, to get 250°ish. Opening up a bit should raise the temp, without any more fule.
Still need a 22” yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 10:01:08 AM »

I haven't done the snake method but I would probably use a basket to of fuel banked to one side. I'm planning on using Stubbs and cooking between 350-375. Maybe one small chunk of peach wood but not much. I'd be curious how the snake is with the chicken. I like me some crispy skin.

@kettlebb makes a great point. When I do chicken, I pour in a full chimney banked to one side and has always worked great.

doc adams

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to experiment some.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 05:00:41 AM »
It would be interesting to setup a snake around half the grill, put your turkey on so that the snake goes from the middle of the turkey, around the back end of the turkey (where the dark meat is) then back around to the middle of the turkey.  Light the snake from both ends to it burns towards the middle of the snake.  Might be a really effective way of cooking a turkey so that the white meat doesn't get as much direct heat and the dark meat cooks a bit more.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

j05hua

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 07:40:45 AM »
It would be interesting to setup a snake around half the grill, put your turkey on so that the snake goes from the middle of the turkey, around the back end of the turkey (where the dark meat is) then back around to the middle of the turkey.  Light the snake from both ends to it burns towards the middle of the snake.  Might be a really effective way of cooking a turkey so that the white meat doesn't get as much direct heat and the dark meat cooks a bit more.
Oh now that's interesting. I might have to try this method.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Joshua
the smoking mormon

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 07:57:10 AM »

Right!!!!  THought of it on the fly....might have to try it too!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 09:01:57 AM »

Just when I thought I was set on using charcoal baskets in a c-shape. My turkey is spatchcocked so not sure if that makes a difference..

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »

Just when I thought I was set on using charcoal baskets in a c-shape. My turkey is spatchcocked so not sure if that makes a difference..

I think I would still spatchcock myself with this method.  And lighting it on both ends should put you somewhere around the right temp for turkey...I think.  Probably just a matter of adjusting the vents to slow down or speed up the burn rate of both ends of the snake to get it where you want it.  I don't think burning a standard snake from both ends would necessarily mean double the normal temp if you get your vents right.  Probably not a method for someone who has never done a controlled smoke to try.

jorrtvh

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 09:09:35 AM »
I'm considering using a snake this year as well.  I've always done my turkeys the "usual' way with hotter temps and the coals all lit and surrounding the bird.  How long should I have it go if I go lower at like 250 or so?  Is that the temp you all recommend maintaining? 
18” Smoky Mountain, Blue C & B Performer, Black 22" One Touch, Black Smokey Joe