Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: RANGER REHAB  (Read 8349 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: RANGER REHAB
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 04:01:27 AM »
Ed....your picture doesn't show up, just a red "X". 

Javahog, Weber publication does call this grill "burnt orange".  We have a thread here started by Duke.   I'll go back and look and copy it here.  And yes, I did see that speckled Smokie you picked up.  Its very cool looking...my brown one has the same speckled finish on the inside.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/did-anyone-know-weber-made-a-burnt-orange-kettle/

Duke, this grill did not lead the charmed life as you can see.  I'm sure it sat outside for a LONG time.  Sun and weather obviously took its toll on this wheel and as I was moving it back and forth in storage over the last few years...the weight on it caused it to crack.   Now regarding the wheels on my 2 Rangers, they both have the same style wheel, but I have my doubts to their originality.  Since the same person owned these two grills...its very possible they may have replaced them both together at one time.  I've not seen any Weber photos showing that style wheel (that cracked) on any other grill ever.

And yes, the flash WAS off.  That bugs me so much when you take a pic of a red grill...and it has a pink hue to it.

That red 26 will have a short rehab thread of its own once I get a chance.  I have a few key items to talk about with it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:36:49 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 06:41:08 AM »
Sorry guys, I am still trying to get the hang of picture posting.  Should be up now.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 07:09:45 AM »
Nice work on the rehab and good find on the wheel!

I look forward to the rehab thread on that red 26 too. <drool>
kettles, smokers...

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »
Hank...I haven't even started the rehab yet, except for the wheel.  This grill is in sad shape right now!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 07:47:02 AM »
Sorry guys, I am still trying to get the hang of picture posting.  Should be up now.

Nope...not yet.  Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm!

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 08:57:17 AM »
Jeff, I modified the eariler post, on page one.  I can see it when I pull up the first page.  let me know if I need to try agian. 

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 08:59:51 AM »
Yes...thats a good photo.  Is that a steel hub wheel with the "red wall" just painted red?  Do you have additional photos of your Ranger?  They would be helpful in my rehab.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 09:01:58 AM »
That steel redwall of Reilly's looks to be original. It matches one thats in one of the catalogs.

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 09:08:58 AM »
It is a steel hub.  I am not sure about the red, I will check it out later.  I'll post some more pics later today (weekends are full with soccer and birthday parties). 

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »
Hank...I haven't even started the rehab yet, except for the wheel.  This grill is in sad shape right now!
I better gut busy cleaning up some of mine lest your 'sad shape' grills look better than my 'I'll cook on that one' grills!
kettles, smokers...

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 08:05:32 PM »
Here are some more angles of the Ranger.  The red wall on the wheel is painted onto the black steel.  Good luck with the rehab, glad you decided to take it on.   I know you will do a great job, can't wait for the before and after photos.   

Also, Jeff your Ranger has some sort of cross over support on the back legs, mine does not even have screw holes in the legs in that area.  And the front brace support for the ash catch thing is different, yours seems to wrap around the front legs and mine is a staight rod, just inserted into both sides of the front legs.   

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:22:16 PM by reillyranch »

Craig

• WKC Mod
RANGER REHAB
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 10:14:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing the close up pics, Reilly! Those Rangers are pretty cool!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »
Ed...those are great pics.  Thanks much

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 12:24:21 PM »
Thanks for the pics..... Gives more of an idea of the setup
How do you clean out the ashes?
Looks like the ash catcher is really close to the bottom of the bowl
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 07:21:27 PM »
Here is another picture of a Ranger, with a little different set up.  It is a picture Weber put out in a newsletter about 10 years ago. 

Also, the ash catch is little more than a sheet of metel sitting on the leg supports.  the bowl vent do line up with it so any ash that falls will drop into the catcher.  And any wind will blow it off the catcher.