Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Catch Up Pizza Post  (Read 2691 times)

blieb

• WKC Brave
Catch Up Pizza Post
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:50:55 AM »
A few weeks ago I picked up a kettlepizza.  It was on sale for $50 off and they had a 25% off coupon.  My wife had been asking me to build a pizza oven and I remembered this 'gadget' ... I'm not really into kettle add-ons... But kettlepizza has such great reviews I had to try it.

My first attempt was decent.  Second was a disaster.  No wooden peel, stone not hot enough... I lost all the non cheese toppings off one of the pizzas because I was launching them in.  The stone was covered in burnt crap.  I was a wreck!!!

I tried a top grate covered with foil, the fire melted the foil.

So I bought some wooden peels, a $13 infrared thermometer, and the kettlepizza steel plate.  $$$$, but all money well spent.

Also consulted with @troy ... Scored a great, easy dough recipe.

I knew I was already damaging the SS Plum a little ... [emoji26] So I picked up an EZ code 22" off CL for $20!  We don't get many on CL around here, I watch.

Now for the pics!!!  I'm still experimenting here and there, but really pleased overall.

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Re: Catch Up Pizza Post
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »
Very nice looking pies!  I have been considering adding the KP steel plate, thank you for the opinion!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 07:32:50 PM »
Nice looking pies dude!

Sooo, how many kettles do you have now?

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:36:39 PM »
You TOTALLY got that down now!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

msuiceman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 06:11:59 AM »
so upset I don't have access to a machine shop any longer. 30 minutes at my old job and I could write a program with toolpath and make a few out of scrap.

the plate is pricy or I'd get one. I'm trying to think of alternatives.... if I just put a stainless play over the entire thing... probably wouldn't need a kettle top at all.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 06:24:52 AM »
Thanks for the kudos fellas!

Very nice looking pies!  I have been considering adding the KP steel plate, thank you for the opinion!
I was reluctant... but after melting heavy duty foil I figured what the heak... it's beefy, 18 pounds!  You can also use it as a flat top cooking surface.

Nice looking pies dude!

Sooo, how many kettles do you have now?
Ha!  Uhhhhhh, I have 2 X 22" SS carts, one is MINT, I've never used it.  Plum and red fade. 

Within the last week I picked up an EZ and ER code One Touch ... One is for pizza and one I'll clean up for my brother-in-law.  I offer $20 and if they'll take that I'm happy to re-home.

I wish I could find some nice colors around here.  :/

Annnnnd of course a WSM set (14 & 22).

I'm heartbroken though.  Got some crazing on the back of the plum out of sight, from high heat.  And last night I was getting attacked by Zika birds and DROPPED THE PLUM LID.  I'm going to look at it later in the light to see how bad it is and reshape. :(

the plate is pricy or I'd get one. I'm trying to think of alternatives.... if I just put a stainless play over the entire thing... probably wouldn't need a kettle top at all.
Yeah the instructions say top is optional with the plate in place.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 07:08:46 AM »
Good looking pies!!!!!  I guess I need to add the steel to my xmas list!  Right when I thought I had all of the grilling accessories I needed.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!