Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey advice  (Read 4640 times)

MarshallW

• Smokey Joe
Turkey advice
« on: September 14, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »
Hey guys I'm grilling the turkey this year. I plan on practicing a few times before November. I have a gameplan and it revolves around an extended cook at 325 to 350. I would love some feedback and advice.

-best way to ensure 325 to 350? (I have a slow n sear at my disposal. I've read the instructions but curious if anyone else has had luck locking in)  doesn't have to be slow n sear advice, id like to have a backup plan

- brines?

- did you add smoke?

- how were your results? What would you do different?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Turkey advice
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 04:03:56 PM »
I would definitely brine the bird. Personally I always add a chunk of wood to compliment whatever's cooking. For a bird apple or cherry would go well. It won't over smoke the bird and won't get it too dark either. I don't have a sns, so I can't speak of that. I have to add coals for that kind of cook. You may not with the sns. I don't know.

Hey, good luck with your pre-run cooks. That's smart. Have fun and get pics bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

Re: Turkey advice
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:29:51 PM »

I cook several turkey's every year. I use indirect method with charcoal baskets on each side and a aluminum pan with a couple of cups of water between.  Preheat your water before pouring into the pan, otherwise your kettle is using up heat to heat cold water.  I start with 25 briquettes in each basket and add 8 briquettes to each side every hour. It has no problem maintaining a  temperature of 325 to 350. Only on the first hour do I add some apple wood chunks or chips.  Figure 11 minutes per pound for an estimate of cook time.  I also put the turkey in a turkey rack and pan on the cooking grate.  It gives it a little protection from the heat of being so close to the charcoal baskets on a 22".  Also saves your juices in the pan for use in gravy.  Cover the wing tips with foil to protect them from burning after a couple of hours.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »
Last year I bought a Butterball. Borrowed my buddies roti. Used apple wood from my tree. My family said it was the best turkey they ever had. No brine, just butter and fresh herbs. Try a few different ways and see what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Turkey advice
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 04:57:02 PM »
I normally brine my turkey using this basic brine recipe.  1 gallon of cold water, 2/3 cups of brown sugar and a 1/2 cup of Kosher salt. Depending on the size of the bird and container, you may have to double the recipe. Also you can add any herbs and or spice to the recipe that you may like. I usually cut up some onions, garlic and fresh rosemary. Best to brine overnight and this works great on whole chicken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:00:01 PM by Bustin Butt »
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/a-bird-a-beast-and-a-spread/

My grandfather has been cooking our Thanksgiving turkey on the kettle for longer than I've been alive (I'm 29). I use his method, described in the link above.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 08:54:52 PM »
I'm not an expert on Turkey but buttering the outside and some smoke wood gives it an amazing golden brown color. This thread also has alot of good info: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/wkc-turkey-noob-thread/30/

and this post by Matt:

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/11/26/its-turkey-time-turkey-tips-for-the-weber-grill/
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MarshallW

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 01:32:11 PM »

I cook several turkey's every year. I use indirect method with charcoal baskets on each side and a aluminum pan with a couple of cups of water between.  Preheat your water before pouring into the pan, otherwise your kettle is using up heat to heat cold water.  I start with 25 briquettes in each basket and add 8 briquettes to each side every hour. It has no problem maintaining a  temperature of 325 to 350. Only on the first hour do I add some apple wood chunks or chips.  Figure 11 minutes per pound for an estimate of cook time.  I also put the turkey in a turkey rack and pan on the cooking grate.  It gives it a little protection from the heat of being so close to the charcoal baskets on a 22".  Also saves your juices in the pan for use in gravy.  Cover the wing tips with foil to protect them from burning after a couple of hours.

In general, how did you have your vents? Thanks for the advice dude.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MarshallW

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 01:32:43 PM »
I'm not an expert on Turkey but buttering the outside and some smoke wood gives it an amazing golden brown color. This thread also has alot of good info: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/wkc-turkey-noob-thread/30/

and this post by Matt:

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/11/26/its-turkey-time-turkey-tips-for-the-weber-grill/
Thank you!

MarshallW

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 01:33:06 PM »
Appreciate it guys. Will let everyone know how it goes.

smokster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 04:30:55 PM »
I say get a rotisserie and wrap the bird in bacon:

Light the fuse and stand back.
Only down side is no stuffing inside the bird.

Cheers

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 06:23:08 PM »

In general, how did you have your vents? Thanks for the advice dude.

I run the lid and bowl vents full open. Your welcome.  Let us know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:24:43 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

propchef

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
Last year I bought a Butterball. Borrowed my buddies roti. Used apple wood from my tree. My family said it was the best turkey they ever had. No brine, just butter and fresh herbs. Try a few different ways and see what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Just as an FYI: Butterball is a brined product, so no additional brine is necessary.

Also, saving the drippings from a smoked bird can sometimes result in a gravy with bitter notes.

Good info ITT. I buy a local bird, brine for 24 hours, then cook @300 or a touch lower until the dark meat is at least 170.

#firstpost

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 01:21:40 PM »
Yep I know butterball is already brined, kind of the reason I bought that brand. I had enough going on that I didn't want to mess with the bird more than I had to. Once it was on the spit it was nice to just let it spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »
Here's one possible way that I've had pretty good luck with....in the basement.....

Process:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/favorites-part-two-turkey/msg80545/#msg80545

...or on the grate, 26"....

The rotisserie might be really swingin' if you have or can locate one....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"