Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotating the lid?  (Read 2786 times)

Grizz

• WKC Brave
Rotating the lid?
« on: September 13, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »
So, I like to cook chicken wings with a basket of coal on either end and the wings in the middle.  As I was turning them tonight, I wondered:  does the position of the vent on the lid dictate where the heat goes?  Normally, I set the timer for ten minutes and then I rotate the wings.  SHOULD I also be rotating the lid?  Like 12 o'clock, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock each time?  I wonder if that would benefit the cook with baskets?  Just thinking out loud.  And slightly buzzed on wine.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
Re: Rotating the lid?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »
sorry, I don't "rotate" the wings, I turn the wings every ten minutes in the middle, but I'm curious if anyone rotates their lid as they cook in the middle with baskets on either end.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »
stupid lid! Just burned the inside of my forearm on it somehow.  The chicken, however, smells......divine.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 04:08:08 PM »
If your cooking wings like that, baskets on both sides and wings down the middle, I wouldn't rotate the lid. I'd keep in in the middle. I would not put the vent directly over the coals because that baskets heat will go  "right up the chimney".

Just a question. Why do you set up your heat that way? It seems that a lot of cooking space would be sacrificed by that set up as opposed to either a wing ring set up ( my current favorite since learning of it here) or having the heat on one side of the kettle and the wings on the other (how I always cooked wings before). Just curious, not hating.

I touched the heat side of the bowl once while sweeping ashes after a cook. I made my kids watch my skin peel over the next day or so, so they would learn not to play around the grill. Feel for ya with that one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 07:16:49 PM »
stupid lid! Just burned the inside of my forearm on it somehow.  The chicken, however, smells......divine.

You sure it's the chicken & not your forearm?

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »
Didn't burn it THAT bad.  To answer your question, Travis, I don't know.  I used to put the baskets together in the middle and ring the chicken around them, but when I tired two rows of chicken down the middle with the baskets on the sides, they just seemed to cook more evenly to me?

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
Ill rotate the lid if the wind is deminishing the draft through the grill or to avoid blowing smoke directly out the vent.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 04:15:56 PM »
There you go. It works for you and that's what matters! Glad you didn't get burnt to bad Grizz. Still love that handle...Jerimiah Johnson. I need to buy that movie

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 03:15:17 PM »
I rotate the lid.  1/4 time in each of the 4 quadrants if my heat is in the center which is normally is for wings.  For other 2 or 3 zone cooks, I turn the meat.

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 07:50:26 AM »
When I use the Vortex to cook my wings, the Vortex accessory is in the center, so the lid does get rotated to 3-6-9-12 every 15 minutes.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 02:52:13 AM »
Mod month idea...Make a kettle lid that works like a giant kitchen egg timer.  No more manual lid rotation!