Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why is Royal Oak popular?  (Read 2467 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Why is Royal Oak popular?
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »
Ok, I know the debate about charcoal and favorite kind rages one, but what is the big deal with Royal Oak red bag? I bought some on sale at Wally World, and I feel it's sub-par. I used an overflowing chimney full to cook boneless chicken thighs and it was almost burnt out by the first go (only 25 minutes). Maybe I'm doing something wrong (chimney (check), weber lighting cube (check), red head grill (check). I light it, wait for gray, and then poof off goes the heat after 25 minutes. Any pointers/ tips for this stuff is appreciated. I'm a Stubbs/coconut shell charcoal guy. Those seem to burn way longer and hotter/cleaner. Thanks all for your feedback and insight.
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Why is Royal Oak popular?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:40:41 PM »
You will now burn for eternity. Lol, sorry, sorry. I couldn't pass it up. Dark humor got the best of me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »
@Vwbuggin64 I use Royal Oak a lot never had a issue. How where the vents set? Wide open, 1/2, 1/4, 1/16" was it windy? I really like Stubbs but really cant find it by me only every now and then.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 03:38:42 PM »
I use Royal Oak, I've switched to Stubbs but I'll keep a bag or two of RO on hand. Awesome for a sear on a steak and has a great flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:39:10 PM »
Lump will burn faster than briqs

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

go_home_red

• Smokey Joe
    • Analog Schemes
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 04:14:51 PM »
I like RO briquettes for grilling/searing. I use only Stubbs briquettes for smoking, but haven't found it to be necessary to use them when grilling--in my experience, using Stubbs for grilling would be like using premium fuel in a beater that can run on 85 octane. RO does just fine for that, and it has that additive-type flavor that I like in my grilling briquettes (another reason to use Stubbs for smoking--it burns so clean).

I've never had a problem with RO briquettes not burning long or hot enough. I always use charcoal baskets when grilling--never just dumping the briquettes on the charcoal grate. I use the cheap charcoal baskets that Menards sells, which aren't as open as the Weber baskets.

So, in other words...I'm not sure why it didn't work for you, but it works for me. How helpful was that?  ;)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »
I'm going to try the RO briquettes next for grilling. Keeping Stubbs on hand always.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »
what is the big deal with Royal Oak red bag?
My initial answer is: "It's not Kingsford Blue Bag for one."

I use the RO Red Bag briqs because they are readily available and a decent value. (V=P/C)
I can get 10 hours of burn time from a charcoal ring full in an 18.5" WSM. Smells good. Ash production is a little high, but not too bad.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 06:41:39 PM »
In San Diego, Royal Oak briquettes and lump, both come in red bags. The RO "lump" is my favorite, of the easy to get lump available in my area. I grabbed a bunch of RO "briquette" twin packs, from Walmart for $5 while they had them. For me, the RO briquettes burn very similar to KBB.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 08:05:57 PM »
Here's the thing with lump...
it's just charred wood - so you don't NEED to let it ALL ash over before you dump it. That rule applies to kingsford...

If you're letting the top of the chimney gray over, the fuel at the bottom is probably spent already.

Use the hand check test to figure out when to dump your coals.
If you want a longer burn at medium-ish temps, pour your chimney of lump when the heat 12" above it is medium-ish. The top pieces of lump will likely be untouched, or barely touched.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 11:11:43 PM »
I am talking about the briquettes. I bought the twin packs from Walmart for 5 bucks when it was on sale. It sucks that Stubbs is gone from there. Ill keep using Royal and go from there. I normally just dump the coals on the grate. It starts out good but then it just quickly fades. Ill keep going and report later.
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ