Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken Halves WSM vs Kettle?  (Read 3616 times)

magbarn

• Happy Cooker
Chicken Halves WSM vs Kettle?
« on: September 05, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »
I'm going to cook some chicken halves today with apple wood for smoking flavor at around 325-350.  Should I use my WSM 14 or my Kettle?  Thanks!

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Re: Chicken Halves WSM vs Kettle?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 11:33:49 AM »
WSM would be idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »
Personally I'd go kettle. Can cook them indirect for a majority and direct to crisp the skin if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
Since I don't own a WSM I'd vote for the kettle!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 02:27:27 PM »
1) Depends on how many chicken halves...

2) If just a couple, then I would use the kettle.
With an upper cooking grate (modified 18.5 grate) you could easily do more on the kettle.

I have an 18.5 WSM and a 22.5 kettle, so no favoritism.
I like the kettle for cooks like this and use the WSM for bigger cooks.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Chicken Halves WSM vs Kettle?
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 03:52:22 PM »
I don't have a WSM but I do have the smoke EZ stacker that simulates the WSM. I like having my chicken and burning coals with some distance between them. The temp of 300 degrees or higher will achieve the results you want for your skin. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 03:57:59 PM by Bustin Butt »
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 07:03:28 PM »
Personally I'd go kettle. Can cook them indirect for a majority and direct to crisp the skin if need be.

I agree.  I have both a WSM and Performer and I never like the skin off the WSM

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 08:22:28 PM »
I agree with Bustin Butt. Use the WSM, take the water pan out and cook them over the coals on the top grate. Just keep an eye on them and flip when necessary. The juice from the chicken drips on the hot coals and gives a good flavor. Now the kettle makes good chicken also

magbarn

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 10:03:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I tried it on my WSM 14 with a full lit chimney (large size) of KBB with all the vents open and the hottest I could get it was around 290-300.  The meat was very flavorful and juicy but the skin was rubbery.  I guess the smaller size of the WSM 14 keeps it from getting too hot.  BTW I did keep the drip pan dry but foil wrapped.  Next time I'll either just do it in the kettle (I have a master touch kettle I just got 2 months ago and love it - my genesis just grows cobwebs now) or try it without the drip pan as I like chicken skin crispy.

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 05:00:03 PM »
I own both, haven't used my 14.5 yet but a cook like the one you are describing I would use my kettle!!
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 08:50:14 AM »
I just did this over the weekend.  2 chickens, butterflied, then decided to quarter them. 

I put all breasts on top rack (WSM 14)... Dark quarters on bottom.  Got it up about 300 and let it rip.  Took the breasts off when done, left the dark on for a little longer.

I got a few bites of crispy skin from the dark... Usually with smoked chicken it's not rubbery, but also not crispy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 06:30:44 PM »
I own both as well and to get higher temps on my WSM I crack the lid open with a small file or flat head screwdriver. I can easily get 325-350 and always get crispy skin. I always start on the top rack and finish on the lower rack if I feel the skin needs a lil more crisp to it.  😎
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 05:34:17 AM »
I own both as well and to get higher temps on my WSM I crack the lid open with a small file or flat head screwdriver. I can easily get 325-350 and always get crispy skin. I always start on the top rack and finish on the lower rack if I feel the skin needs a lil more crisp to it.  😎
Good idea on cracking the lid.  I've only done that on accident... temp spike and I thought what the heak!?  It was dark and I didn't put the lid on right.  :q

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS