Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow N Sear for pizza ?  (Read 3145 times)

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
Slow N Sear for pizza ?
« on: August 22, 2016, 07:13:02 AM »
Anyone use a S N S when making pizza?
I was wondering if would concentrate the high heat up the back?

What about as an added bonus to help protect the finish on coloured kettles?

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Re: Slow N Sear for pizza ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 05:07:34 PM »
Anyone use a S N S when making pizza?

Yes, I used a (borrowed) SnS a couple of times, with the Kettle Pizza, and it worked as well as not using it. If I owned a SnS, I would use it with every pizza cook. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 07:34:29 AM »
@Jason -  Would you have coals and wood only in the SNS, or would you still have some coals outside of the SNS?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 07:50:38 AM »
The few times I used the SnS, all of the fuel (mostly mini splits) was contained in the SnS. Most of my pizzas are 12"14", with fairly thin crust, so they don't take long to cook. I'm also cooking on top of steel and don't want any fire directly under it. I would use the SnS for the purpose of protecting the kettle, not so much for fire management.

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:33:48 AM »
The SnS has the option to have water in it, for smoking and temperature control.
Is there an advantage to have that while cooking pizza or would I be just as well using a Weber charcoal basket.

If I buy a SnS do I need the one with the bottom in it? I will be using lump charcoal and wood chunks.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:58:05 AM »
The SnS has the option to have water in it, for smoking and temperature control.
Is there an advantage to have that while cooking pizza or would I be just as well using a Weber charcoal basket.

If I buy a SnS do I need the one with the bottom in it? I will be using lump charcoal and wood chunks.

I would not add water when doing a pizza.  It's great for moisture and temp control when smoking slow and low, but I wouldn't want to steam my pizzas!

I have the SNS with no bottom so I can't really comment on the one with a bottom.  I think it might be nice to be able to move the SNS around mid cook if I needed to for some reason.  The one with the bottom also lets you shut down your grill, save the remaining coals and easily sift them out once they are cool for reusing.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!