Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: pizza kits on the performer  (Read 3955 times)

Rhaugle

• Happy Cooker
pizza kits on the performer
« on: August 16, 2016, 12:50:38 PM »
just wondering how the performers are holding up the the pizza ovens. Im looking into getting a pizzaque and wondering if i need to remove the lid rollers or not?
Copper Performer

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: pizza kits on the performer
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »
I would find a CL beater kettle to dedicate to pizza. That's my plan when I get into the pizza game.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure my rollers were melted long before I even got my Red SS Performer, but I would probably take them off.  If you can put the opening of the Pizzaque so that it is where the rollers are it might save them.  The instructions for the KettlePizza specifically mention taking the rollers off, so I would assume the PQ would be the same thing.  I have not seen any damage on my performer other than melting the vent handle off once.  That was my fault...I had the vent lined up in the back directly over the licking flames and forgot to close it, so that little piece of plastic (or whatever it is) had no chance.  I have not seen any signs of damage to the porcelain so far and I have done quite a few cooks and most of them have been 4-6 pie cooks so the grill was a high heat for quite a while.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 07:28:44 PM »
The PizzaQue sits inside the kettle bowl and has 3 clips on the bottom outside that rest on the bowl of the kettle. It won't sit all the way down with the nuts of the lid bale protruding inside. You would have to remove the nuts and let the lid bale hang or notch the PizzaQue bottom so it would go all the way down. The top of the PizzaQue has 2 clips that hold the kettle lid from sliding off.

I would just remove the nuts and let it hang while using the PizzaQue the same way I do if I am using my WSM middle section on my Performer.

I have a black beater that I use for Pizza and I also took off the top plastic handle in fear of melting it. I wouldn't want that high heat in a good grill for fear of the porcelain cracking or chipping off.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 03:14:40 PM »
I use my kettle pizza on a performer

rollers and bale nuts removed

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »
I use my kettlepizza on my performer almost exclusively and haven't melted the rollers.  That doesn't mean it won't happen, it's just not on my list of bad shit yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhaugle

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 12:06:10 PM »
I use my kettlepizza on my performer almost exclusively and haven't melted the rollers.  That doesn't mean it won't happen, it's just not on my list of bad shit yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is on your list?
Copper Performer

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 08:13:20 AM »
Do you guys find that its a bonus having a Performer for making pizza?
In other words do you utilize the work surface or would a basic kettle be fine.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 08:41:11 AM »
My list of bad shit other than melting the rollers...
I guess catching my peel on fire somehow, launching a pizza off the back of the stone, a bird pooping on my mega hot kettle, a bird pooping on a pizza coming out of the fire, a bird pooping on me.

My rollers don't seem to get that hot.  They aren't in direct contact with the kettle wall.

I can almost guarantee that my rollers will now melt because we are talking about it.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »

i don't use the work surface at all when making pizzas, other than possibly leaving an IR thermo there to check stone temps in between pies

the extra height of the performer is a bonus though. cooking pizzas requires quite a bit of attention, which means being hunched over or kneeling to look in

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 08:44:27 AM »
Thanks for that info @Troy !

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 08:47:40 AM »

This is an interesting question.  The only 22 I have at my place is my performer so that is what I use my KP on.  I usually also have my 26er right next to it with the lid off so I can use that if my stone gets too hot and I need to take it off for a few minutes to cool down as well as a place to rest my lid if I need to take it off for 20 seconds to add more wood chunks.  My work surface of my performer is usually used for the next pizza that will go on.  That way I can pull one off with my metal peel, place that on my 26er cooking grate and get the next pizza in the grill.  Then I take the cooked on inside to rest grab the next pizza that is ready to go on another wood peel and bring that one out.  Since I have three wood peels I can get three pizzas done from the time the first goes in to when the third comes out in 12-15 minutes if my fire is right.  If my friend Dennis (who is an awesome dough stretcher) is over, he is usually inside building more pizzas once the wood peels are vacated of the initial three.....we can do 6 pizzas in 30-35 minutes.  I usually have a a bunch of wood chunks on standby on the work surface as well so I can add them really quick between pizzas if they are needed.  If for some reason I am having problems getting the high heat I need I will take the entire KP with the lid on it off of the grill and rest that on the 26er so I can add more coals and wood and let them get cranking.  I can see where the Tombstone grate makes adding coals a heck of a lot easier than using my hinged grate.  I usually put my hinged grate upside down so I can easily slide chunks across the stone and have them drop in the back of the kettle.....but with that setup I can't add anything on the sides without rotating the entire KP to give me access to the sides. 

I usually hang my metal peel and spinners from the hooks on my performer.  On a regular kettle I would think the handles would get too hot if they were hanging right off of the kettle, so this works really good for me.  So between the tool hooks, my performer work surface and my cooking grate on my 26er I definitely use two work surfaces as well as the hooks.  I think I would be out of sorts if I tried to cook pies on my three wheeler that is over at Dennis's place and I didn't have a few work surfaces to work with.  And the 26er to me is absolutely needed so that I have a place to put hot things without worrying about damaging something.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 08:49:05 AM »
My list of bad shit other than melting the rollers...
I guess catching my peel on fire somehow, launching a pizza off the back of the stone, a bird pooping on my mega hot kettle, a bird pooping on a pizza coming out of the fire, a bird pooping on me.

My rollers don't seem to get that hot.  They aren't in direct contact with the kettle wall.

I can almost guarantee that my rollers will now melt because we are talking about it.

Oh man.  That is quite a list of bad shit. Literally.  Your list gets funnier and funnier as you read it...until the last one....that just sucks!