Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which bowl is best for running a snake?  (Read 6403 times)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Which bowl is best for running a snake?
« on: August 14, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »
I have tried to run a snake a few times but have had trouble with my ash falling and blocking the vent on my one touch 22". Not really a problem if you slide the vent occasionally but running on autopilot its blocked twice on me. I'm going to try again but I was thinking about using a bowl with the daisy wheels. I think I will leave one wide open and start the snake where the ashes will drop next to the vent and wrap around dropping ash on the closed vents.

I tried running a 2×2 with a block of oak about every 8 briquettes snake last night on the one touch..... rock solid 4 hrs. 250°  Went to bed at 12am got up this morning 5am with dew on top of the kettle.[emoji31] snake died about 2 hrs after I went to bed. I had the bottom vent open 1/4 -1/2... 2 out of three of the slots in the bowl were blocked with ash. Anyone have a preference? One touch vs daisy wheels. I started the snake in the bottom right.here's where it choked. This was before bed. In the morning...Two vents full of ash and no more fire.

addicted to charcoal......
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:14:51 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Which bowl is best for running a snake?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 05:21:40 PM »
I haven't done a snake on the one touch yet, but have on the wheelers. One time I poked a little ash from the vent, but didn't have an issue.
I haven't gotten comfortable enough yet with these snakes to go lay down for any real length of time. I'm still up and down at least every couple hours to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 06:16:12 PM »
I can run a snake with my copper with a one touch using a 2x2 snake for 6 to 7 hours with no problems.  This is probably because I keep both vents wide open.  It always gives me a rock solid 250 degrees.   
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 07:11:51 PM »
@kneab just wondering what charcoal you are using?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

shock_me

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:39:40 PM »
^^^ What kettlebb said. I can see by your first pic that there are no ridges on the briquettes so they are not Kingsford. Maybe your brand is a high ash producing charcoal. I've run snakes many times on a one touch system and never plugged the vents. Try using Kingsford and see if that helps.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 01:58:37 AM »
I used kbb the first time. Stubbs this last time.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

shock_me

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 02:10:24 AM »
Geez that's interesting. I've never tried Stubbs. Can't get it around here. I guess I must be sweeping my ash while I cook and not realizing it. I do have a daisy wheel kettle as well and obviously can't sweep during a cook, and it works well with the snake. Do you have a three wheeler to try?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 02:29:52 AM »
I thought it looked like Stubb's. It's my new favorite and my go to fuel. It's really low ash compared to other briquettes so I'm kinda surprised about this one. Anyone else run into ash issues with the snake and Stubb's?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 02:44:23 AM »
Yup.I was thinking I'm going to run it this time on the three wheeler. Paying attention to the vent position and leaving one out from under the snake to prevent blockage.

I also read 1buckie's tips. I am  going to sprinkle lump crumbs in the gaps for better burn.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:58:38 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 04:57:24 AM »
I like that "fence" you used.  Good call.  I prefer a 3-wheeler for the snake.  Definitely use small pieces of lump scattered throughout for burn assurance.
Buckie is the snake master, so he would not steer you wrong.

If you can, maybe put down some EM (expanded metal) around the outer ring. 
I use a ring of fine EM, and the ash tends to get held up a bit more.  Not so much drops down.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 05:36:25 AM »
I don't have any EM but I do have extra grates. Maybe put in a second one turned 90°.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 05:48:09 AM »
No. Stubb's worked fine for me too. The tip from Buckie about using the small lump pieces worked really well for me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:49:55 AM by Travis »

shock_me

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 05:49:16 AM »
Using lump crumbs is a great idea! I'll try that next time I use the snake method. I'll agree with everyone about the snake though. It's a great way to keep a rock solid 250 degrees in the kettle. I haven't used my Smokenator for a couple of years. Now that device is quite prone to ash buildup!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 08:05:35 AM »
Interesting and unfortunate dilemma. I have never had any issues with ash blocking the OT vents, and have run a 2x2 and 3x2 KBB snake for 8+ hours. Vents are usually 1/3 or so open.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 12:01:02 PM »
This is kind of weird.  When I run a snake the ash builds up around the edge of the grill and doesn't get anywhere near the vents.  One thing I am noticing is that your coals seem to be next to each other but not actually leaning on each other.  That might be your issue.  I usually lean my coals on each other so that as one is burning it starts the one that is leaning on it.  And if you need to do a really long smoke, lean them totally upright so you can put twice as many coals as you can when they are laid flatter.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:03:10 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!