Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Backwards Double E green MT  (Read 3530 times)

Cellar2ful

Backwards Double E green MT
« on: August 13, 2016, 09:29:39 PM »

Picked this one up at a garage sale today. It was listed on a CL garage sale add as a Weber MT with no pictures. I had my doubts, but the seller did know what a MT was and it is a well kept specimen  at that. This thing has every bit of porcelain it was born with.  No chips or scratches anywhere.  Other than my redhead EE  Code MT I bought brand new in 99, this is the most pristine Weber I have purchased. Even the thumb screw on the hex nut of the ash sweep assembly moved with little effort. No rust on the ash sweeps but that was probably due to a heavy coating of grease. The triangle is virtually rust free and the wheels look new.  Leads me to believe it was kept in a garage when not in use as it is totally rust free.
My redhead MT came with wood handles.  This green one has light grey plastic handles. Considering the condition of this kettle, I find it hard to believe the wood handles would have been in need of replacement.  What year did Weber phase out the wood handles and switch to the plastic ones?

@varekai - Is this the color green you were talking about?

As it looked when I picked it up.

How about the backward stamped EE"s

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Backwards Double E green MT
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 09:43:03 PM »
Looks great Jim! Hey, that vent picture, are those "spots" or greenish deposits like some kind of oxidation? I picked up an 18" redhead the other day that I'm working on and the vents, legs, pan have this greenish "stuff" on there that steel wool isn't really doing the the trick. Any suggestions? Without having a pic handy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 10:04:03 PM »
Hey, that vent picture, are those "spots" or greenish deposits like some kind of oxidation? I picked up an 18" redhead the other day that I'm working on and the vents, legs, pan have this greenish "stuff" on there that steel wool isn't really doing the the trick. Any suggestions? Without having a pic handy....

I look forward to the responses to your question Travis.  The spots appear to be etchings in the aluminum from some form of oxidation.  Some of my kettle lid vents have them and others have no sign of it. I'm sure the club has some metallurgists that can enlighten us all on what might be the causes for it and any methods to remove it.  @zavod44-what is your take on it?

As far as the legs Travis, sand them down with medium grit sandpaper.  It will take some work but eventually the pitting will disappear.  Then move to a fine grit sandpaper and finish with #0000 steel wool.  From there it is up to you whether you want a high luster finish using Mother's polish or leave them with the brushed aluminum look. On the vintage kettles, I like the brushed aluminum look you get from steel wool. On newer kettles I like the high luster polished look from using Rolite Supra 90 or Mother's.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Backwards Double E green MT
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 12:48:09 AM »
Yeah, it's new to me because this is the first kettle that I've come into that has these "deposits" on the vents, legs and ash pan. The 0000 steel wool isn't touching it, per say, but it's got to be from either storage or other chemical contact. Just a thought. Whatever it is has really attacked the metal. I know there is something that will clean it up and some folks who have ran into this. It will be a good conversation to have had for the future RRR's.

The age guide states the wooden handles were replaced with the glass reinforced nylon handles in 2000, but the upside down EE code isn't mentioned.

I work rotating shift work in the last part of American manufacturing and I wonder if that backwards stamp wasn't from the assembly operator with the stamp screwed up. Messed up from the beginning of the run and not caught until sometime down the production line. It happens....

Beautiful kettle, brother. Hope to hear some good feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:30:33 AM by Travis »

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 01:19:05 AM »
Deposits? Something salty, probably. Aluminum is also an anode for many other metals, stainless steel, copper...the galvanic scale is harsh.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 02:12:23 AM »
Nice one - 33 greenies are pretty rare.
Retired

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 06:07:14 AM »
Nice one - 33 greenies are pretty rare.

What is a 33 greenie 56MPG? Is that a typo (22"), or a manufacturing code? 

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 06:13:39 AM »
You see backwards EE, I see 33  ::) ;D  I'd call this one Eddie...(For the Baltimore bunch: EdDEE, EdDEE! Thank youuuuuuu)
Retired

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 06:18:08 AM »
You see backwards EE, I see 33  ::) ;D  I'd call this one Eddie...(For the Baltimore bunch: EdDEE, EdDEE! Thank youuuuuuu)

Overthinking it on my part.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »
@Travis-That would explain this kettle having plastic handles. It was probably produced late in 1999 and the inventory of wood handles had been used up. They just started using the plastic handles a bit early. Just like C Code kettles and the different combinations you see on them with single and double screw handles.

@SixZeroFour- What do you use to deal with the etchings on lid vents as seen on this kettle? Everything I have tried on beater kettles obliterated the stamping's and Weber log's.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 06:36:25 AM »
Another mint MT in my favorite color .  Great Score and clean up.

This reminds me of a joke.

Lady pulls into the Garage in her car.  Tells the mechanic- "something is wrong with my car and found something under the hood area of the car".
Mech. asks - " what did you find!"
Lady- " I am not sure but it is round and has number 710 written on it. " Let me go get it "    She brings it to him.   
Mech. -  " Lady this is your oil cap. :o :o  You or your husband must have forgotten to put this back on".

710 is backward OIL on the oil cap. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:39:45 AM by greenweb »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 07:21:39 AM »
Deposits? Something salty, probably. Aluminum is also an anode for many other metals, stainless steel, copper...the galvanic scale is harsh.

Now that you mention it, I remember all my marine outboard motors had a small sacrificial aluminum piece. The corrosion and electrolysis would attack the aluminum rather than the rest of the metal engine parts. If used in salt water they had to be replaced much more frequently.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 07:58:14 AM »
@Cellar2ful , thats EXACTLY the color i'm talking about....LOL.. Good Job and congrats!  and if you ever want to sell it............lol
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
@Cellar2ful I would stick with good old 0000 steel wool and scrub scrub scrub.... once the surface junk is gone you can either polish it shiny or use the steel wool to reintroduce the original "raw" grain look. [emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Cellar2ful

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 08:48:03 PM »
@Cellar2ful , thats EXACTLY the color i'm talking about....LOL.. Good Job and congrats!  and if you ever want to sell it............lol

PM sent.