Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first 12 hour brisket  (Read 3854 times)

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
My first 12 hour brisket
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »
My weapon of choice was my favorite toy, my 18 inch WSM. I tossed in a full chimney and a half of Kingsford blue bag and lit another half a chimney and threw threw them on top. I decided to use Apple wood chunks due to the fact that I couldn't find Oak. I'm happy I did because that aroma was amazing for 12 hours! I finally put her on around 8am but i had to wind up using two beer can chicken racks to hold it up so it could fit. It shrunk down enough after about five hours for me to get it to fit without them.

The hardest part of the cook was that my smoker was up and down consistently all day. One second it was 210 degrees and five minutes later at 240. I think I have a slight leak problem because the was smoke coming out from around where my lid meets the top grate. No problem though because when I finally took her off at 8pm she was at 197 and ready to be wrapped. I couldn't find any butcher paper so I was forced to use a towel. After 90 minutes i took her out and all my hard work paid off. I tried a pull test and was successful. It was juicy and flavorful. My only issues were I wish I would have used more salt and had butcher paper. I was nervous to oversalt it but I guess with it being a big hunk a meat it could taken on more kosher salt.

Now that i've gotten my first major smoke out of the way with a fridge full of brisket and one still in the freezer i think i'm hooked. The wife is finally cool with my addiction. Once she tasted the brisket she was all in.

Special thanks to @Travis, @1buckie, @DarrenC, and @Big Dawg for all the help. They helped me not mess up as bad as I could have lol

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:27:43 PM by BariB523 »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My first 12 hour brisket
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:41:08 PM »
Man, that brisket looks amazing! Great job! Glad it worked out and thanks for the shout out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »
Wow!  Welcome to the "nailed a brisket" club!  I'm of provisional member since I seem to be hit or miss with briskets.  Very nicely done.  I myself and not a big enough of a brisket eater to be excited about doing any more myself...I've done 3 or 4 and they were all good, but just not worth the time since I don't really like it that much anyway, but you definitely nailed it.  And that was a big ass brisket!!!!!  Great job!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 04:20:16 PM »
@BariB523 that is a killer first brisket. I remember my first. The only problem with my first was too much salt in the rub. Since then I've done a few on my performer and they have been great. Looks like you nailed it. I don't have a WSM but from my research it will seal up on you the more you smoke. Get a nice sized pork shoulder and make some pulled pork. Job well done sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 04:42:20 PM »
That's not a bad temp swing. I wouldn't mess with that aspect. Brisket looks awesome. I need to nut up and do one myself.
Still need a 22” yellow

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »
Great job @BariB523 ! ! !  Don't know how many cooks you have on the 18, but as @kettlebb said, the more you cook with the WSMs, the more they should seal up.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 06:40:09 AM »
Outstanding cook!  Keep it simple and don't sweat the small stuff.  Fantastic!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 07:11:11 AM »
Great looking cook @BariB523

How much did that brisket weigh?
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 11:36:51 AM »
Man, that brisket looks amazing! Great job! Glad it worked out and thanks for the shout out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't do it without you lol. It was worth every minute of that twelve hours

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 11:39:08 AM »
Wow!  Welcome to the "nailed a brisket" club!  I'm of provisional member since I seem to be hit or miss with briskets.  Very nicely done.  I myself and not a big enough of a brisket eater to be excited about doing any more myself...I've done 3 or 4 and they were all good, but just not worth the time since I don't really like it that much anyway, but you definitely nailed it.  And that was a big ass brisket!!!!!  Great job!

Thank you! I'm hooked. I can't wait to do another. I want to try to new seasonings, different wood, etc.

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »
@BariB523 that is a killer first brisket. I remember my first. The only problem with my first was too much salt in the rub. Since then I've done a few on my performer and they have been great. Looks like you nailed it. I don't have a WSM but from my research it will seal up on you the more you smoke. Get a nice sized pork shoulder and make some pulled pork. Job well done sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I kinda wish I put more salt but i'll have plenty of smokes to try that. I'm about to get a shoulder from work tomorrow lol

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 11:44:35 AM »
That's not a bad temp swing. I wouldn't mess with that aspect. Brisket looks awesome. I need to nut up and do one myself.

Thanks. So I should stay away from the gaskets?

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 11:47:13 AM »
Great job @BariB523 ! ! !  Don't know how many cooks you have on the 18, but as @kettlebb said, the more you cook with the WSMs, the more they should seal up.

BD

I only have about five cooks but I bought it from someone else and I'm sure they cooked on it. No to gaskets?

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »
Outstanding cook!  Keep it simple and don't sweat the small stuff.  Fantastic!

Duly noted.

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 11:48:24 AM »
Great looking cook @BariB523

How much did that brisket weigh?

19 lbs before trimming, 13 after I believe