Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Long Live The Snake  (Read 2467 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Long Live The Snake
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:36:05 AM »
This is my go-to charcoal for the snake method.  AKA: fuse method.  It provides a nice long, consistent burn.

And, the 3-wheeler is ideal for Low 'n' Slow.

I picked up an 11 pound butt.  Never cooked one this big on a kettle. 
Paid $2.30 / pound (CAD).  Current exchange rate puts that at $1.75 / pound (USD) … Not bad, IMO.

Found some rub hiding in the pantry.  Had this stuff for awhile, so it needed to get used up.  It was alright.

I use an expanded metal (EM) ring that acts like a fence, if you will. 
It is the same diameter as a charcoal grate for an 18" kettle.  Holds the charcoal nice and tight to the bowl.
I also sprinkle small pieces of lump throughout the snake.  A double layer of HD foil in the centre is used for drippings.
Cherry wood for smoke.

I lit 10 briquets to start the pre-heat stage.  After 30-40 minutes, the butt went on.  That was @ 10:30PM … Overnighter it is.

I kept the intakes fully open for another 30 minutes.  Then closed 2 and let things settle in.

After a little more than 2 hours, it was holding temperature quite nicely. 
This thermo is a little off.  It tends to measure the grate temp ….

After 11 hours, I got an average IT of 165°.
There was still plenty of snake remaining, but I decided to foil the butt.  I also opened up all 3 intakes fully.

After 13 hours, the average IT was 202°.  Removed it, then into a cooler wrapped in a couple thick towels.

The snake was nearly at its end …. No extra charcoal was required.

After a good hour, it was time to pull.

A 13 hour burn …. No added charcoal …. and, I got probably 6-7 hours of sleep.  I like that!   :D 8)

Thanks for looking.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: Long Live The Snake
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 01:23:32 PM »
@MacEggs Me likey!  You selling any of those contraptions?  How did you make it?
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 02:32:47 PM »
@MacEggs Me likey!  You selling any of those contraptions?

Thanks, @Davescprktl !  No, sorry, I'm not selling them.

How did you make it?

Very easy to make.  I measured the circumference of a charcoal grate for an 18" kettle.
Using a cut-off disc on my angle grinder, I cut the required size of EM. 
Using a 20lb propane tank (laid on its side), I rolled the EM around it.
Then tack welded the ends together.  I suppose that the ends could also be bolted together using SS hardware if welding is not feasible.

The other piece is not attached.  It is the same size as a charcoal grate of a 22" kettle, with the middle cut out.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 05:19:07 PM »
Looks good Mac! Do you leave the butt in the middle for the duration? Do you ever have to move it or anything? I finally got a successful snake cook but had the butt on the opposite side of the kettle. I wondered if the drippings would affect the coals, but by the time it got to that end I had moved the butt over opposite again. What are your thoughts about it all?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:56:18 PM »
Great pictures you killed this cook. Final product looked perfect and add in that you got great sleep during an overnight cook - always a great feeling.

- Keep it simple stupid -

Keep it simple stupid

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 02:24:44 AM »
Do you leave the butt in the middle for the duration? Do you ever have to move it or anything? I wondered if the drippings would affect the coals. What are your thoughts about it all?

@Travis , good questions.  I leave it in the middle for the duration. 
It is my belief that the drippings may affect the unlit briquets. 
By that I mean, that the rendering "fluids" may saturate an unlit briquet, thereby, not allowing it to light when the time came.
I can't say for certain if this would be the case … Just my thoughts.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 10:07:20 AM »
Love love LOVE that fence!!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 06:26:46 PM »
I've never tried the snake method and I'm planning on ordering a SnS next week. Anyone here care to compare and contrast the snake vs SnS minion?  If they are about the same for low and slow then I'd assume the SnS added benefit is the high heat searing option.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 03:52:47 PM »
I have only used the SnS once and it ran out of charcoal around hour 7 I believe. I usually just build a snake and let her fly. For things that will be done around 7 or so hours, I would definitely go with the SnS, but my personal preference for things longer is the snake for sure. I know others have gotten longer out of their SnS, but that is just my experience with mine.

Hope it helps..

Tom

I've never tried the snake method and I'm planning on ordering a SnS next week. Anyone here care to compare and contrast the snake vs SnS minion?  If they are about the same for low and slow then I'd assume the SnS added benefit is the high heat searing option.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 07:55:39 AM »
Do you leave the butt in the middle for the duration? Do you ever have to move it or anything? I wondered if the drippings would affect the coals. What are your thoughts about it all?

@Travis , good questions.  I leave it in the middle for the duration. 
It is my belief that the drippings may affect the unlit briquets. 
By that I mean, that the rendering "fluids" may saturate an unlit briquet, thereby, not allowing it to light when the time came.
I can't say for certain if this would be the case … Just my thoughts.

@Travis  @MacEggs

Yes, that's true....I can say for sure, having goofed up this exact situation before!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"