Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: All-Out Red Genesis 2200 Platinum Restore (Pic Heavy)  (Read 15760 times)

SixZeroFour

All-Out Red Genesis 2200 Platinum Restore (Pic Heavy)
« on: July 20, 2016, 07:33:24 PM »

I love the original 1000-3000 model Genesis gassers. Factor in reliability, serviceability, performance and looks and it's probably my favorite gas grill of all time... So when a fellow club member approached me about doing a top-to bottom restore on one I was both excited and honored to get started. I've done multiple refurbs in the past but never anything even close to this...

The build was planned start to finish with every detail laid out in advance. A side burner was not desired, but we wanted to go with all wood slats so 2200 Platinum fit the bill perfectly. The 2200 is somewhat rare in a sense that it has wood slat surfacing and swing up tables on both sides of the grill giving you a ton of surface area to work with. It also has two levels of Flavorizer bars, 13 in total, for extremely even heating across the whole cooking area.

In the end 4 or 5 different grills were cannibalized in order to pick and choose all the best parts. The frame was completely disassembled and sandblasted down to bare metal then powdercoated for a like-new long lasting finish. The firebox was also completely blasted inside and out and looks like the day it rolled off the showroom floor. It has new burners, new SS Flavorizer bars, new starter module and electrode, new cast iron grates, new lid swing rack, new warming rack, new grease pan, new grease tray, and all new stained and finished slats. I was also fortunate to have found a like new reversible griddle, complete rotisserie kit, and an original user manual\cookbook... oh and of course a cover 8)

It will be a bit difficult to watch this one roll out of the garage but thankfully it couldn't possibly be going to a better home. A big time Weber fan and just an all round great guy! Thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of this project and I hope you are as happy with the results as I am.

[emoji106]

The process:

Thanks for looking!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: All-Out Red Genesis 2200 Platinum Restore (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 08:01:12 PM »
Eh, if your into that sort of thing.... AND I AM!  Holy crap that thing is beautiful!!!  Excellent job....wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 09:02:47 PM »
Excellent work, Matt. Can I employ your services one day too?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 12:25:36 AM »
Wow,Great Job!!!.......Think i will sandblast mine aswell ,powercoat looks great!!

Red Blaze

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 02:15:46 AM »
Beautiful work!  That should last another 20 years.  I would love to have the durawood shelves and handle tho.  Here in Nevada the wood is in constant need.  I have a 1000 that needs all of it.  I wish it was still available.
Burnin' Charcoal and Black Powder

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 02:36:43 AM »

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 03:31:45 AM »
What skill and attention to detail; your work is of the highest quality. Well done!
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 06:12:05 AM »
Very nice! How long did that take? What was some of the harder pieces to deal with during this project?

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
Excellent work, Matt. Can I employ your services one day too?

Of course... almost sounds like you have a project in mind? 8)

Very nice! How long did that take? What was some of the harder pieces to deal with during this project?

In total a little over 2 months. It was substantially longer than I had planned for but a few individual pieces slowed down the completion quite a bit. Cutting, staining and finishing all the slats was very tedious as each piece received multiple coats of Stain and then multiple additional finish coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane so that it will hold up to the elements. Since you can only do a few sides at a time it makes for a LOT of stop and go. A few of the powdercoated pieces also needed to be re-done and its at least a weeks wait to get anything back each time so it all added up. Thankfully the new owner was extremely understanding and patient with the process and it took a huge weight off of my shoulders.

In terms of what was the most difficult I would have to say the complete cleaning of the cookbox. Even when sandblasting it can be difficult to loosen rock hard debris that's wedged down in the corners of the casting. I made multiple trips back and forth after finding new little specks that drove me crazy ;D The bottom cookbox alone spent at least a couple hours in the blasting cabinet. 

The red porcelain lid is also a bit of a chore to get spotless, but it's all worth it in the end [emoji106]

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 09:37:33 AM »

The boneyard [emoji41]

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:21 PM »
Love your boneyard, what media did you use for the blasting? In the process of doing my own gasser resto... Will never achieve your level but you have made me want to finish my project..Thanks.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »
Wow. I can't believe the time and effort put into that. Ok, so I'm not up with gassers, so what parts out of the donors were you looking for?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really taken in by the work. I'll pm you if I have more so not to take up more space.

Great job man. I've looked over this thread like a million times already and don't even own a gas grill. Just the work or craftsmanship alone is amazing.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 02:39:42 PM »
Anybody who gives you crap for not putting thought and time into a restoration ought to be tarred, feathered and pissed on.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »
That makes me want to sell my 07 Genesis and by an old one to restore. Beautiful work.

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 02:25:18 AM »
Nice job!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!