Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A question about a Mini WSM?  (Read 3512 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
A question about a Mini WSM?
« on: March 22, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »
I have a question for anyone who has built a mini WSM and has used it to smoke a pork butt: When cooking a pork butt on a mini WSM, the pork butt sits down in the pot. When it comes time to remove it, how do you get it out? This may sound like a stupid question at first, but I have cooked many pork butts on my 18.5 bullet and when it came time to take the meat off the cooking grate, I have had to scoop it up with a spatula because it was so tender it would fall apart. I have envisioned reaching down into the pot of a mini WSM and trying to lift a pork butt out and could only imagine how badly it would probably fall apart? Any thoughts? 
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

jperry1907

• WKC Brave
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:14:07 PM »
I would suggest spraying down your grate with some Pam spay before the cook. Typically, i'd pull it off when it's still a little firm but you should cook it to your liking.

Disclaimer: I have a mini WSM but haven't cooked a butt on it, so take my advise with a grain of salt.

You gotta post some pics!!!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: A question about a Mini WSM?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
I take mine out at 190f ( still firm) then double wrap in foil and towels and into an esky to rest for a couple of hours
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:45:32 PM »
I like to use butcher string. It helps when it comes time to move your meat :o
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:33:57 PM »
I've tied butts, with no success.

Pull the whole grate, or use a foil pan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 05:29:12 AM »
When I have cooked butts on the WSM, I use these gloves. It is easy to remove the meat without it falling apart. They are really thick so they give decent protection from the heat.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007ZGURK

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 06:31:19 AM »
When I have cooked butts on the WSM, I use these gloves. It is easy to remove the meat without it falling apart. They are really thick so they give decent protection from the heat.

I have the same gloves and they work fine for me. You do have to be careful not to pick up stuff that is too hot. They are not as heat resistant as silicone oven mitts.
kettles, smokers...

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »

I have the same gloves and they work fine for me. You do have to be careful not to pick up stuff that is too hot. They are not as heat resistant as silicone oven mitts.

I have a mini and have smoked a butt on it:  I wipe the grate with olive oil and use gloves to remove it.