Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM temp spike  (Read 5025 times)

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: WSM temp spike
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 11:30:50 AM »
Dude....he has a 22.5 and it was 5 minutes. I am surprised it only went up 75.

I had my lid off for about the same time last weekend to add meat to the bottom grate and to refill the water pan. It spiked to about 280. Took about 20 minutes to get back down too with a little bit of work on the bottom vents.

Sorry gentlemen, I have never experienced a temperature spike like that.  I don't know what I'm doing differently.  But if the typical user is seeing that type of jump, then I will refrain from offering further advice and let those with more experience make recommendations.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 11:42:36 AM »

I had my lid off for about the same time last weekend to add meat to the bottom grate and to refill the water pan. It spiked to about 280. Took about 20 minutes to get back down too with a little bit of work on the bottom vents.

Sorry gentlemen, I have never experienced a temperature spike like that.  I don't know what I'm doing differently.  But if the typical user is seeing that type of jump, then I will refrain from offering further advice and let those with more experience make recommendations.

BD

Are you running the pan dry or with water?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:02 PM »

BD

Are you running the pan dry or with water?

Both, really.  For longer cooks (brisket & butts) I will put water in at the beginning of the cook.  Mainly because, in my head, it makes sense to initially have more moisture in the cooking chamber.  Just something that makes sense in my head, I'm sure, don;t have any data to support the feeling.  But when that first pan evaporates, I do not add more.  For shorter cooks (chicken & ribs) I run with just foil.

Another factor that quite possibly impacts what I'm seeing is that, for the past year or so, I've using a Guru.  But I swear I don't remember having those large spikes (+75º) even when I was normally aspirated.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 12:38:48 PM »
Sorry gentlemen, I have never experienced a temperature spike like that.  I don't know what I'm doing differently.

My WSM is a 22 with factory door. I have run with and without water and usually use a snake. Even when shutting lower vents down ahead of time I found large spikes in temp when I wasn't fast getting the lid back on.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 03:03:04 PM »
Sorry gentlemen, I have never experienced a temperature spike like that.  I don't know what I'm doing differently.

My WSM is a 22 with factory door. I have run with and without water and usually use a snake. Even when shutting lower vents down ahead of time I found large spikes in temp when I wasn't fast getting the lid back on.

And, now that you mention it,  Cajun Bandit doors.

Again, my apologies.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 07:19:05 PM »

And, now that you mention it,  Cajun Bandit doors.

Again, my apologies.

BD

No need to apologize, @Big Dawg ! Everyone's setup is a little different so it's nice to talk about our experiences and setups.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2016, 02:51:52 AM »
Good point... The meat and the water pan would add stability.   But I bet the
Cover no longer fits!!!!
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »
Actually, @Lemans, I was able to use the covers after installing the hinges.  It was a very tight fit, though.

At least until they started stiffening up from sun exposure.

BD

The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy