Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Interesting find - Sampson dominion kettle  (Read 7230 times)

artmc

• Happy Cooker
Re: Interesting find - Sampson dominion kettle
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 12:25:24 AM »
For 40+ years my family had one of these. Unfortunately, it spent too many Canadian winters uncovered. By the time I got it, the bottom was rusting through, and I prolonged its usefulness with aluminum foil. Alas, soon that didn't work and I had to buy a new kettle barbeque. What I miss about the Sampson-Dominion model is it's perfectly round cover, which is much easier for beercan chicken and large turkeys. I wish Weber had this option. We used it for standing rib roasts, turkeys, duck, beef ribs, steaks and burgers (of course) fish, vegetables and lord knows what else. Anyone know where I might get another one?

artmc

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 12:25:57 AM »
For 40+ years my family had one of these. Unfortunately, it spent too many Canadian winters uncovered. By the time I got it, the bottom was rusting through, and I prolonged its usefulness with aluminum foil. Alas, soon that didn't work and I had to buy a new kettle barbeque. What I miss about the Sampson-Dominion model is it's perfectly round cover, which is much easier for beercan chicken and large turkeys. I wish Weber had this option. We used it for standing rib roasts, turkeys, duck, beef ribs, steaks and burgers (of course) fish, vegetables and lord knows what else. Anyone know where I might get another one?

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 09:47:02 AM »
wake up zombie thread bump...

what is interesting is, well, 1) if this was ever mentioned while I was at weber, I don't recall it. but 2) knowing how a kettle and its parts are formed and fabricated, there is a lot of tooling and investment involved -so it wasn't a garage show low budget operation.  C) why are their not more out there -unless they were hit with a cease and desist from weber.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 12:15:04 PM »

@greenweb has a couple nice SD kettles ….
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 06:21:05 PM »

I have not seen any other complete SD kettles anywhere, so I feel real lucky to have these interesting kettles in my possession.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 08:08:23 AM »
That rainbow triangle is funny. To be honest, I find the domed lid somewhat unsightly, but I kinda like that the interior of the kettle is colored enamel instead of black.

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 09:35:12 AM »
geez passed up on one of these a while back for $30 , didn't buy cus it wasn't a weber .if i'd known it was a canadian company i would have got it . oh well ...

hannaloulou111

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 12:03:58 PM »
I too picked up a Sampson dominion kettle would really love to find out more info in it. Same red style. pinned it at '67-'70. but dont know for sure. I thought it was a weber at first.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 03:13:55 PM »
I too picked up a Sampson dominion kettle would really love to find out more info in it. Same red style. pinned it at '67-'70. but dont know for sure. I thought it was a weber at first.

Congrats! Welcome to WKC. Are you in US or in Canada? I know they were sold in both US and Canada back in 60 or 70. You and I may be the only ones so far with these cool kettles on this forum. Let's see some pics. I like to see if yours has the same triangle. I always wondered if it was original or not. I am thinking it is.

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 08:15:23 PM »
Those are really cool.  Clean it up and show it off.