Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ~The deal went down!~  (Read 3910 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
~The deal went down!~
« on: July 01, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »
Set the scene:

I get an e-mail from @SmokenJoe  on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend with a link for a $60 Red SS Performer. I'm loaded up to help my teammate cook for a Baseball Tournament Fundraiser Saturday morning and there is no way I'm going to be able to get to it. The craigslist post stated it was a one day sale from 9-4 with "no early birds". Kind of a downer!

Wake up Saturday and my buddy Mark texts me and is already setup and smoking (nervous energy!), so I find out the address is on my way to the Tournament and I swing by @ 8:15AM and I can see the Performer from the road with a couple guys huddled around it (DAMN Early Birds!). It is a junkyard lot with a couple storage buildings on the property and a few 1-800-GOT-JUNK trucks parked outside.

I get up to the grill and it turns out the guys around it were looking at bicycles, and I just bulldoze my way through and drag it near my SUV. The lady in charge of the sale came up and I shot her a lowball, but she had a list of items from the CL ad and stuck firm. I load it up and off I go to to the ball fields.

Didn't think much of it, it sat in the car overnight, rainy overcast weekend, but it looked darker than my Redheads, and it sat next to my comp trailer (Maroon BTW) until Monday, and I'm really not getting the picture - its not a Redhead!!

Fast forward Friday -  4th of July weekend:

Larry makes the trip North to visit the family-we hook up and @SmokenJoe is in possession of his next Weber project!!

@Craig has "every kettle has a story" in his signature - Larry can finish the rest of this story!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: ~The deal went down!~
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 01:45:29 PM »
That's a great color.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 01:46:20 PM »
Congratulations!!! Victory!!!!!
She's gonna clean up real nice!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »
Great story! Congrats @SmokenJoe and thank you @swamprb for agenting it! What color is it called?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
Congratulations and great story ! Love seeing the teamwork!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 04:09:41 PM »
Nice work guys!
It seems like it's kind of a plumb, but not quite...
Still a great looking grill

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »
Good lookin grill. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:11:46 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
First of all  ...  many many thanks to Swamp'rB (alias @swamprb) for his exceptional assistance with this pickup.  Without his exceptional help this EO-code would be SOMEWHERE else :(   To add to the "story":  I originally spotted that SSP on CL and thought, for that price I could afford to just buy it to take to the rifle range for the use of the Range Masters.  That's when we ALL thought it was just a red :).  After B picked up that baby and sent me pics, it dawned on me that I now own two SSP's; one is an O-code 'grey' and (now) and one is an EO-code 'plum'.  At least, as I recall, weber called that color 'plum' (@Craig)???   I guess I'm still looking for some color more usual than grey or plum for the RM's. 

PS  Got a treat in checking out some of B's cooking gear, you name it he's got it and a great back yard to cook in.  Even met his better half  ...  I think she was kind of happy to hear YAK (Yet Another Kettle) was going to Eugene.

I'm still cleaning up the grey, so pics will follow when these two SSP's are ready to be respected.
SJ

"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 06:21:38 AM »
Yep, it's maroon, or burgundy like the one @BMitch sold to my sister. Hard to find.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

BMitch

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 08:14:44 AM »
The more I realize how rare the burgundy SSP's are the more I regret selling it!
Looking for green, red, blue mbh...  Acocado, yellow, or lime.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 02:06:52 AM »
@SmokenJoe
I'm thinking it's a brick red like my performer, no?-

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 04:38:12 AM »
I have an EO the same color....I'm going with Maroon or Burgundy. Vent picture is the actual color not in direct sunlight. Here's a link
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/redhead-18538/30/

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:52:58 AM by Scott Zee »
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 05:40:53 AM »
Looks great!!! Nice color.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »
@captjoe06  Hey, very nice looking Performer.

The Plum color is a funky somewhat limited color on Weber kettles in my neck-of-the-woods.   It's more a purpleish maroonish burgundy (Weber Marketing must have come up with Plum terminology ???).  I've seen early reds, reds, red fades, and brick reds but none of them look real close to the plum (I'm thinking it's hard to get a digital phone camera in existing light with wonky skies to capture a true color image).  I don't know when Weber stopped making the color  ...  that info is probably in one of the "Statesmen's" head.

Your rig looks like a newer (much newer) Perf frame.  As I recall, they made some brick reds during that period.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".