Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jalapeno cook off  (Read 1350 times)

apt323

• WKC Brave
Jalapeno cook off
« on: June 21, 2016, 01:01:41 PM »
The wife and I entered a jalapeno cook off this past Saturday the 18th.  It's a charity event, and all of the proceeds benefit the Shriner's Hospital for Children.  There were 3 categories - stuffed, dessert, and other.  We had two entries, one in the stuffed category (stuffed jalapenos), and one in the other category (chicken balls).  All together there were 40 entries.  Most people just pre cooked then warmed to bring to the event, but a few cooked on site.  We brought 2 kettles and the Slow-N-Sear.  There was a propane smoker, Jumbo Joe premium, and a master built type kettle brought by the other people who were competing. 

We were so busy cooking that we both forgot to take any pictures of the stuffed peppers or chicken balls.  We are trying to hunt down one of the media guys there that took a picture of us with the lids off to see if he can send it.

here are both of them posing in the back yard before I loaded them.

this was right after the cook with the lake in the background and (new to me) F150

The Friday night before the cook my new birds eye maple handles came in - they are awesome and the pics don't do them justice - and I am pretty positive that they added the bit needed to make the pepper over the top @zavod44

1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers - First place won aprons and 2nd and 3rd hats

this was our first ever type of competition and we won it in the stuffed division - we unseated a 3 time winner - I am the one in the yellow apron and black shirt

picture of the apron up close

Thanks for looking - wish I would have taken pics of the food it was the best looking and probably tasting we had ever made

Forgot to mention the wife was wearing her WKC shirt representin'

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:19:04 AM by apt323 »
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Jalapeno cook off
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »
Great job! How about recipes?

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 05:20:37 PM »
Love it!

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »
Looks like fun. Where was this?
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 07:03:16 AM »

This was in Garland at the Hella Shrine Center.  A group of Shriners put it on every year and it continues to grow.  Its was open to anyone to participate.

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 07:09:40 AM »
Great job! How about recipes?
I pretty much mashed up multiple recipes with a full piece of thin fat bacon fully covering the pepper.

cream cheese
brown sugar
cayenne
little smokies w/cheese
bbq sauce for glaze at the end

The wife made the mix up so I don't thing there was anything else in there.  Pretty simple but very good. 

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 07:21:54 AM »
A better pic of the handles

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 07:33:00 AM »

This was in Garland at the Hella Shrine Center.  A group of Shriners put it on every year and it continues to grow.  Its was open to anyone to participate.

Damn, I'm like five minutes from there. Love that blue kettle by the way.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 10:55:09 AM »

Damn, I'm like five minutes from there. Love that blue kettle by the way.
That's really close we had to drive like 45+ miles.

Thanks those two kettles are the wife's favorites, I am more partial to the red ones which I have 3 of.  The reds will be showing there faces next time.